Click here if you are having website access problems ×

X-Flow catch tank mod back to rocker cover - photos please

ScottMB

I have had a dig through the archive to see what the general opinions are for dealing with X-flow engines that do breathe quite a bit of oil (especially on track days like mine) filling up the catch tank, and then running a bit low on oil.

So, I figure their are a couple of options:-

1. Do the Roger King method (described below)

or

2. Put the brether pipe into something better than the standard plastic container (like a swirl pot) - and then put a new hose over to the top of the rocker cover. This way excess blown out oil would go into the pot; and back into the top of the engine rocker if it blew out a lot.

Any recommendations or alternatives that have proven successful?

Quote Roger:

“What you need to do is to machine two inlet/outlets into the rocker cover. The first one should be above the breather canister and you should feed the hose that currently goes to the catch tank to this. Then machine the second hole into the rear face of the rocker cover as high as possible and lead the hose from this to the catch tank."

"If you tap the holes machined in the rocker cover 3/8" bspt, you can use these part nos as screw in inlet/outlets - 1484835, 6148087. These are Ford part numbers and one is a straight outlet and the other is a 45 degree outlet. Both will screw into the rocker cover and then the hose simply pushes onto the them with a jubilee clip.”

Any photo's showing the mod would be much appreciated. Thankyou

Scott MB - 1600GT Home of BYP

Edited by - ScottMB on 4 Aug 2006 14:53:14

Better is to use the existing breather hole in the block, run a vertical pipe upwards to a tank. This stops all oil as it cannot travel upwards but still allows gases to exit and vent to a catch tank.

I prefer to use this method as there is a better chance of less oil loss due to gravity. *thumbup*

R500 Mango Madness

Thanks Peter - but the pipe coming out of the breather hole in the block I have going as high as possible - but on a heavy use day, it still blows a lot of oil out. i.e. fills my catch tank, and then it spills oil out over my exhaust/manifold making lots of smelly smoke come out of the engine cover. (I've lost the stopper for the catch tank)

Scott MB - 1600GT Home of BYP

Scott

Blatmail me with your em address and I can get some photos to you early next week when my digital returns from England with my daughter. I set up a RK designed system which works really well . - unless I overfill with oil. The flow is generated by air blow carrying droplets of oil which turn back to liquid when they slow down.

My system has been on a year now and I've only had about a tablespoon reach the catch tank.The pipes all rise to the tank so if the oil goes liquid on the way to the catch tank it just runs back into the rocker box

David

1989 1700XF SS clams with carbon

webshots here

Scott, I has lots of oil loss and did 2 things - 1. Replaced the piston rings as they were shot, and 2. put an extra breather pipe from the rocker to the catch tank.

Picture here. Also used a filter on the pipe from the crankcase as you'll see in the picture.

Now get no oil loss.

David

1700XF: click here

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

I'm also looking at this solution after my first track day last week meant half the oil disappearing! Also considering some sprint events next year so will need a catch tank.

I have the two Ford outlets and will order the 3/8" bspt tap this afternoon, is the rocker cover thick enough to just tap a thread and screw the outlet in ? Do you need to put an additional nut on the inside or use PTFE tape to stop it weaping oil at all ??

Cheers

Alistair

Hi Alistair

The cast alloy rocker covers are thick enough to take a bsp thread - just do't overtighten. The thread is tapered and gas tight so don't use additional; PTFE tape - mine hasn't leaked a drop in 2 years and no need for nut on the inside - only increase the risk of a clash with a rocker.

remember to put your catch tak above teh rocker outlet so that droplets of oil released from air suspension can run back into the rocker - I havent had to empty my catch tank yet as a result

David

1989 1700XF SS clams with carbon

webshots here

The arrangement on my championship winning Xflow (KPE)hereis shown

here

here

here

here

The final vapour pipe from the second catch tank could of course be plugged back into the point on the left side of the rocker cover which has a blanking plug in it in the photo, if necessary.

Seems to work ok, but I've not seen the cubic pre-catch tank elsewhere....anyone seen another like it?

This car took 8x1sts, 3x2nds, and 1x3rd out of the 12 races in 1993.

SeaView!!!!

😬 😬here *eek* *eek*

Edited by - Unclefester on 24 Nov 2006 22:00:40

On the Burton power web site they offer an oil cap for the X/flow with a breather pipe exiting from the side if anyone wishes to try before drilling there rocker cover.

I read a long time ago about running a pipe from the base of my catch tank down to the sump above the oil line, so I did, no problems so far, I do have a tap in line which I can turn on to drain any oil back to the sump.

I have read that the PCV valve [positive crank ventilation] on the side of the block for some reason has no valve in it, I am trying to find a new one with a valve to see if this helps, anyone know a part number?

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR