Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Academy Car

lee molden

Lee, edit your post by clicking the envelope with magnifying glass, then put in the details as required in the for sale guidelines -

Price, contact details, car spec, extras etc.

You may find a few more interested people that way... *smile*

Looks a like a good buy. Would the fact that it has raced in the Academy (or any other race for that matter) make any difference to the quality of the car?

I know some people would be put off that it has seen a track in its lifetime, probably the same people who state "never been used in the wet"...

in the absence of Lee posting here himself, I know the car fairly well & I know Lee has racked most of those miles up on the road - he has replaced it with a road biased r300 as I know he wanted a bit more poke.

It is a nice car, well looked after & certainly the last time I saw it, there was nothing wrong with it.

I would have thought he would sell it for more than it is advertised for but perhaps he wants a quick sale. I wouldn't hesitate to get in touch.

Mine is a 54 plate ex-academy which I bought on ebay. Touch wood it has been faultless so far, and cost me a fair bit more than that one! I wouldn't let the academy status put you off, based on my experiences.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

see here - UPDATED

FWIW, I think these cars are great value.

I bought one (same spec but with carbon tillet) just over a month or so ago for under this price although when the cost of a new rear end is factored in it works out around the same.

I'm with David on this (they do have the lowered floor), they are cheap 1 year old cars with a lot of potential for upgraditus.

Ben

Pretty in black - but why are these cars so cheap at the moment? What price were they new?

Joking aside, it seems xflows with clams are rising a bit in price at the moment and the K series cars are seemingly doing the opposite. Is this normal 'Caterham' fare given winter/summer/used on track/not used on track type concerns?

This is a serious post by the way *tongue* *thumbup*

Dave Ardley. White Xflow with Clams

Don't point that beard at me, it might go off.

Groucho Marx

Updated photos here

I think they are cheap for two main reasons - they are 'race cars' and that puts a lot of people off (for no good reason) and there are loads of them around. Remember that there are 50 new people/cars in the Academy every year, and inevitably a significant proportion get sold after one season.

Charles

---

My SuperGraduates 2006 diary

My SuperGraduates 2005 diary, My Caterham Academy 2004 build and race diary

the 'racecar' tag certainly puts people off, which is a bit strange since they tend to get looked after. my car has done 7,500 miles and its had 5 oil & filter changes, all of them (bar running-in oil) the caterham motorsport stuff. Plus any faults get put right immediately, and the cars get scrutineered at each event.

Of course there's the risk of having had some track shuntery in the past, cracked fibreglass or chassis damage etc, but these are pretty easy to spot.

Bargains aren't they?

Martin

Roadsports B with upgradeitis

Charles/Martin - thank you for your thoughts *thumbup* I agree - these are bargains and mechanically are going to be very well maintained cars (odd bodywork scars aside etc.)

I have seen Tom_C's car up close and it was very nice indeed.

Wish I had the money.......are there any Academy cars with clamshells 🤔 😬 *eek*

Dave Ardley. White Xflow with Clams

Don't point that beard at me, it might go off.

Groucho Marx

Updated photos here