Click here if you are having website access problems ×

rolling road basics

Jam Mad

forgive my ignorance, but i've been reading all about this rolling road gubbins, and would like to know more....

what exactly is a rolling road tune ? i know that a rolling road are rollers that you put your car on, that then measure the power/ torque etc of your car at various revs, but i have three specific questions;

- when you go to a rolling road, do they tune your engine for you, by fiddling with the carbs/ ecu for instance, to get the best power or whatever, or do you have to do it yourself ?

- how is power at the flywheel determined ?

- is it worth doing every now and again to ensure that you're getting the best from your car for onroad driving ?

oops, sorry all, just found the answer to two of these questions here.

must remember to check the archives !

cheers,

j

Edited by - jam mad on 18 Feb 2002 11:51:38

Edited by - jam mad on 18 Feb 2002 11:54:01

• 4 weeks later...

I think it is best as an engine under load ie pulling the car along will perform differently than just reving it so having the ability to adjust carbs etc while the engine is under load will be a great advantage. Yes they will tune the engine for you as they will need to make several adjustments for the best result, the advice is to service you car before you take it to them, clean your air filters {K n N filter cleaner kit £9.99} fit new plugs and leads cap and rotor, they will do the rest. I have just purchased a 1700SS and it has 19,000 miles on the clock and the filters looked as though they had never been cleaned, so I cleaned them with the above kit.

Brush off dust from outside casing.

spray on cleaner and leave to soak [20 mins]

simply rinse under tap.

leave to dry naturally [did mine overnight]

apply K n N oil supplied and leave to soak in.

re oil any missed spots.

replace filters.

the result on mine was that the tickover has shot up so the carbs will need reseting so I will be taking it to the nearest rolling road.

Good luck.

I actualy work for a car spares shop and we do K n N filters etc so I get it cheap luckily but even at the retail price of £9.99 it is well worth it. There are a couple of kits, one with an aerosol and one with a pump action top, the pump action is best as you get more for your money being mechanical, the part number is

99-5050

Simply remove the filter and dust of with a brush, apply the cleaner all over and leave to soak a little, rinse under the tap and see all the crap come out,

leave to dry naturally, then spray on the oil and leave to soak for 20mins and then re apply on any missed spots, refit filters.

Try your local A1 store or halfords as they are now part of Ripspeed. Good luck