Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series remote oil pressure sender

Shaun_E

• Support Team

I've read all the posts I can find on this but still have some issues.

Background - I now have a new oil filter housing (stripped the thread off the old one ☹️) which has the following threaded holes:

1. M12x1.0 at a 45 degree downward angle at the opposite end of the housing to the filter (normal position for the pressure sender)

2. M12x1.0 thread on the top of the housing between the filter and the pressure sender end.

3. 1/8 NPT thread also on the top of the housing.

The M12x1.0 holes are both now blocked using cut down bolts and the 1/8 NPT is blocked with a grub screw.

Now obviously I don't have a pressure sender fitted at the moment. I want to refit the Stack pressure sender (actually a VDO unit) which has, AFAIK, a 1/8 NPT thread (or is that 1/8 BSP - I'm confused by all these different sizes). I would prefer to fit the sender remotely but given I have 2 holes in the top of the filter housing, it doesn't make sense to buy the Caterham kit which will probably include exactly the same housing.

Question 1 - which of the holes would it be best to take a hose from? The M12x1.0 or the 1/8 NPT? And what fitting do I order?

Question 2 - what is the fitting I require at the other end for the Stack sender to screw into?

Quesiton 3 - do I need a part that can be mounted in place of the horn like the Caterham or Think ones or can I just zip tie the sender to the chassis?

Question 4 - does anyone have a photo of either the Caterham or the Think setup?

Question 5 - what is the difference between 1/8 NPT and 1/8 BSP? Is it that the NPT is tapered and the BSP isn't? i.e. does a 1/8 BSP male fit into a 1/8 NPT female?

I would have just ordered the Caterham kit but it appears that it won't fit the Stack sender as the latest Caterham senders are M12x1.0!

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I've taken mine from the 1/8" NPT fitting & it mounts on the bracket which supports the header tank. You need 55cm of hose. If you take everything to Think they will check the threads & supply everything to fit including the terminating bracket for the hose & sender. Just up the road from James Whiting & quite close to Slough.

1/8" BSP will fit into a 1/8" NPT (NPT is a tapered thread). However Think will supply an adapter, if like me, you don't like mixing up your threads.

If you Blatmail me I can send some pics.

• Support Team

Mick - thanks for that, I am about to phone Think. As the filter housing is on the car now, I'll just have to hope that the thread is NPT and not BSP - Caterham parts are fairly convinced it is NPT so I'll go with that. YWHM shortly.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Shaun,

The Caterham remote senor consists of a length of braided hose with a banjo connector at one end - that end attaches to the top of the oil filter housing (which is specifically taped for it). I believe the braided hose is the standard front brake hose. There is a tee piece into which the oil pressure sendor and oil pressure switch attach. All the parts are available separately from Caterham (don't forget the copper washers if you buy the pipe)

The Think auto sender (at least as listed on the FAQ) goes into the 45degree down hole on the filter housing - again has a tee piece into which the pressure pipe to gauge and pressure switch screw into.

FWIW I'm currently running a hybrid Caterham/Think setup.

Dave