Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

How fast a VVC should rev upto?

jackb_ms

Depending on which VVC engine I think, but *at least* 7k

I would suspect the water temp or the cam position sender to be at fault.

/regin

Growing old is mandatory - Growing up is optional

I've never actually checked one of those, but there would obviously have to be some sort of resistance in it. Ie not a short circuit, nor open. Bar that you couldn't. I would expect it to be fairly similar to the cranck position sensor. I think I can measure the DC resistance of a EU3 sensor tomorrow late afternoon and post it here.

/regin

Growing old is mandatory - Growing up is optional

Hi Tom

It's a EU2. The engine is running fine, it just not rev up to the 7000k limit. Or maybe the rev counter is not so precise.

I'll change the VVC oil temp sensor and the water temp sensor and see what happen.

Should I really worry about not being able to rev it to 7000k?

Jack

Emily, The Very Yellow 21

Just a thought, is your throttle fully opening 🤔

Your engine should rev to over 7000 RPM although in itself, there is no problem limiting the revs to 6000, I would definitely want to find out why. The rev counter works off the ECU output, and are normally quite accurate, the ECU gets the RPM info from the crank angle sensor which picks up a series of pulses from the flywheel. Rover changed the hole pattern on the flywheel several times over the years which can be confusing, but I wouldn't expect a crank trigger problem as the engine is running OK *confused*

Tom