Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Exploding Diff!

Nickb

Hi, guys am fairly new to this game, brought a 1992 1700x-flow, Live Axle back in october, saw a bit of sun on Sat and managaed to destroy the diff pulling out of a service station, was the start of a very bad day!

Have removed the unit, and it has V3205 and LEYS stamped on the casing, and 41794

on a ali tab, what type of diff is this?

Still to be disassembled, so don't know how much damage done! any advice?

thanks nick

I just removed my diff from my 91 live axle this week end, for the second time in a year. I can't help you on your numbers, but I assume its the standard ex-marina axle. A chat with Phil Stewart leaves me thinking that I will upgrade to a Quaife LSD unit. Whilst he has already had one long telephone chat to a caterham owner today, I'm sure he'll talk to you too! (01959 525105)

He was recommended to me here and I now wish I'd taken his advice when I first detroyed my diff rather than the cheap local option I pursued, which did 1,016 miles before breaking again!

What exactly does 'destroyed' mean? What symtoms are you getting?

Can anybody recommend (or otherwise) the Qualife LSD option?

J

Edited by - James Arnold on 18 Feb 2002 11:31:47

Symptoms!

Was pulling away in 1st, massive bang, and rears locked up!

took it out of gear and managed to push it back into garage,

although sounded very sick, as if i had removed a good couple of "teeth"

will try and get in touch with phil and see what he says!

thanks

My problems were caused by the pin (not too sure if this the right term!) falling out(twice). This resulted in a loud banging noise as it caught on the pinion. I did wonder whether if it had been any worse, if it could have jammed the whole assembly.

If you want advice about removing the diff, drop me a line. A few more practice runs and I should be getting quick at it!

Are you sure its the diff? The symtoms you describe are quite like those I got at my last brooklands outing (0 to 5 and back to 0). That turned out to be a new gearbox, as nearly all of the teeth of 1st gear were AWOL! I wonder if the transmission of my car is trying to tell me something?

I suggest to get the rear wheels up on axle stands and try a few things out to narrow down the possiblities.

J

Before anyone suggests a ford english axle as a cure-all soloution, the diff from my old, (standard 2l pinto), RS 2000 fitted into a jam-jar after a BIG bang from the axle. It also ate 4 gearboxes, we got so good at replacing them that the last one only took about 40mins....

And then someone pointed out the left over release bearing still on the wing.

D'OH!

Mark