Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX Running too hot

Wozza

Hi there,

I have a 97 2.0 vx and at the first track day of this year I noticed the temperature gauge doing funny things. On the drive up it was running hotter than previously. On the track day itself it ran hot but not worringly so whilst on track but on the cool down lap it would rise and be nudging over 100.

Got the car home and ran up to temperature and the electric cooling fan wasn't cutting in even when heading over 100 degrees. I put a wire between the connectors to the radiator fan switch and the cooling fan came on ok. I decided it must be the radiator fan switch, fitted a new one this weekend and it still made no difference - the temperature keeps creeping up and the fan isn't cutting in.

I can't seen anything on the car that I can check??? Any ideas of what it might be and what I can check?

Thanks in advance.

Marc

As previous post, if the coolant isn't touching the thermostatic switch contacts then this won't switch on the fan, even if the coolant is otherwise hot enough. Make sure there is no air in the top of the radiator, by bleeding. Is there a bleed screw on the top of the radiator?

The std steel Caterham, rad is a bit small for the VX if you drive it hard, and it will get up to 105 degrees which is not such a good thing.

Best course of action is an ally rad. The small cheaper one is quite adequate and works fine even on my car.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

• 2 weeks later...