Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Objective assessment of K series engine derivatives

Neil MH

Another question on behalf of a friend who is seriously interested in buying a Caterham. I am trying to get him a few headlines re the various K series engine derivatives (but not the 1.4, 1.4ss, 1.6 120bhp, 160SS, R300, R400 and R500). So I think what I'm trying to find out about is the:

1.6 Supersport R (160bhp?)

1.8VVC

1.8 VHPD

Is that it?!

Ideally, as I say, what would be helpful is a few headlines about the nature of these engines, the style of power and torque delivery, any generic reliability issues over and above normal K series head and overheating stuff, tractability, etc. All thoughts/comments most gratefully received.

Neil

A lot of that stuff is a bit subjective if I may say so. I'm happy to give my opinion of the 1.4ss if he changes his mind. Suffice it to say that it's dead as a dodo at low revs, a bit flat to 4k then it starts screaming and doesn't stop accelerating hard till it hits the limiter at 7.5k ish. 😬

It's quick enough if you know how to find it. *wink*

I've blown up 5 of the engines you have listed now and I can say that by far the best engine i've had with regards to reliability, oil pressure and oil consumption, idle, performance and value has been the Trophy 160 VVC engine (2003).

Edited by - Dave21P on 31 Jul 2006 12:40:57

Neil, my old car started as a 1.6 roadsport which was great, then upgraded to 1.6 SS which was realy nice, then did the Supersport R conversion takes a 1.6 to 1.8 and 160 BHP details on the Caterham website, this was an excellent upgrade. The car is for sale on the caterham website its Viper blue and silver. quite sad to let it go but I did buy a R400 which is another leap in power etc.

I would say the 1.6 SS and Supersport R are both livley the latter has more torque and pulls stronger and of course is quicker. I havent experianced any of the Kangaroo issues that you some times see on here with either the Supersport R or the R400

My car was a 51 plate 1.6 Roadsport, converted to Supersport-R (bored out to 1.8 litres, roller barrel throttles, etc) spec in April 2005. At the same time I had lightweight flywheel fitted as well as uprated valve retainers/bearings. I've done around 6,000 miles since the conversion (including a drive to Italy and back).

A few hundred miles after the conversion was done the car was dynoplotted on a rolling road and came out (from memory) at 152bhp at around 7100rpm, and at around 122lbft at 5000rpm or so.

The car's great to drive on the road; I never really have experienced kangarooing/bunnyhopping (this can typically be remapped out should it occur), and the remap undertaken at the time of the rolling road session substantially improved fuel economy.

The conversion completely transformed the car - acceleration (I've kept the five speed gearbox, but am intending to have the six speed 'box fitted next year) is ample enough, with the car pulling strongly in second gear from 20mph to just over 60mph without a gearchange.

Car has been totally reliable since the conversion although I almost ran out of coolant over time (thankfully noticed in time and not down to the engine, but down to jubilee clips that needed tightening). Oil consumption is not that noticeable but it pays to check oil level frequently as a matter of course. I have not experienced emissions problems at MoT time (I retained the standard exhaust, which I have heard said contributes towards the tractability of the car).

If your friend is thinking about track days, then the Supersport-R conversion might be too loud for some noise-restricted venues; noise can be reduced (at a price).

Hope the above helps - feel free to drop me an e-mail if you'd like more detail, or have any further questions.

Stelios the Bubble *confused*

Click here for my Caterham 7 page or here for some photos

Thanks for these comments.

I now know that he's actually going for an R300, which wasn't on my list above! He clearly wants to go one (or possibly 3) better than me!

Looking at the comments above relating to SS R conversions, this sounds promising, assuming its more or less the same engine in an R300?

Neil

Edited by - Neil MH on 1 Aug 2006 18:56:15