Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cost of K series engine rebuild

Neil MH

I guess this has the makings of a question with 100 possible answers.

A friend is considering buying a Caterham 7 but it sounds like the engine needs a re-build. I think the spec is fairly standard 1.6 supersport that needs work. He doesn't have the skills or desire to do the work himself.

How much (very roughly) would be the cost of an engine re-build to the same spec, with normal reconditioning (assuming that nothing major problems were found on the strip-down)? Also who is it best to use for such an undertaking?

Thanks.

• Support Team

It depends what needs replacing but it is unlikely to be more than a few hundred pounds. The following are rough costs (prices may have gone up since):

Big end bearings - £50

Main bearings - £50

Thrust washers - £6

Bottom end gasket set - £25

Flywheel bolts - £12

Rod bolts - £24

Head gasket set - £70

Head bolt set - £60

Cambelt - £32

Head skim - £30

Labour to build engine - £500ish

So worst case I would budget about £1000. Of course if there is any damage to pistons, liners, etc. then the costs would increase.

If any future upgrades are planned then it would be worth fitting forged pistons (£500).

Yellow SL *cool* #32

It may be easier to get a decent secondahnd engine from crashed MGF or similar and fit that, with appropriate tuning parts. Again I think £500-1000 for a midrange Supersport-type engine generating around 130-150 bhp should cover it. Dave at DVA and Jason at Hellier are both very well spoken of round here. *thumbup*

There are a few handy breakers that can supply relatively low mileage "donor" engines at the moment so all you'd need to do is move the head over between them and do the requisite modification work to fit starter etc... (or DVA could do it)

My engine was built up from (my) component parts at DVA, with Dave supplying all the new bearings, gaskets, cambelts etc, decking the block, re-honing liners, oil pump and bearing ladder mods for less than £500, seemed perfectly reasonable to me. You could get to £1K if you wanted Dave to fit forged pistons and do a bit of porting at the same time.