Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Rustproof

singlespeeder

Do the chassis rust from the inside? I remember being warned of this when buying an ageing TVR. Even solid and nicely undersealed chassis tubes could infact be paper thin. A large hammer was recommended as the ideal test - TVRs are indeed delicate machines!

I would imagine to get into the chassis you would have to drill holes and even then getting good coverage is a problem. One of the advantages of the Dinitrol range was a product that sprayed in a fine mist and therefore could be sprayed into a cavity and so hope to cover the majority of the metal. Somehow taking me black and decker to the chassis doesn't really appeal!

J

Evening All,

When applying Waxoil/Dinitrol (Dinitrol in my case) is there any subtlety involved? (i.e. do you only go for the chasis and ali panels or do you blast it everywhere - axle, springs, shocks etc..)

All thoughts welcome. Also any non-obvious areas that are worth treating ?

Thanks

Peter

OneSpeed,

Lots of Sevens in Herts... Checkout the website for an idea (look in the Area Meeting pages). I wont be at the meeting as I live in Roma at present! For local Seven support checkout The 7 Workshop (www.7workshop.com). When I'm in the UK I can be found in Throcking, just outside Buntingford...

Small Boy - with Loud Toy!

See Eugene here

and

Lotus@Herts hereid=green>

Peter, or should I call you baby?

If the car is to be used in the salt bath of winter then EVERYWHERE is the best option. You can always clean it off with White Spirit.

You can thin waxoyl with white spirit too. It evaporates and leaves a thinner coating of waxoyl.

If the car is only used in summer then I would treat the chassis only with more careful application.

Waxoyl even gets into cracked powdercoat and protects.

This is an interesting topic! Can somebody give the definitive advice on rustproofing.

Do you spray the outside of the chassis tubes, the whole of the underside (tubes, ali and all), or just the inside of the tubes?

If you do inside the tubes, how do you get in (drill presumably) and how do you stop up the holes you made?

Finally, does Waxoyl rot the 'A' frame bush (live axle)?

As one who uses the Seven in all weathers (salt included!) I waxoil my car most years with a 'watered down' mix (either WD40 or white spirit) and cover most things (except bushes). I get inside tubes when rivets come loose as that is when/where water may get in but have never drilled holes for the job. However I do remove side panels, etc, to ensure I can get to all points where water may sit between chassis and aly skin! I also waxoil where screws (self tappers) are used to go through the skin and chassis tube. However, I use my car in all weathers so this is stop rot, not keep it shiny!

Small Boy - with Loud Toy!

See Eugene here

and

Lotus@Herts hereid=green>