Click here if you are having website access problems ×

WWC tonneau cover

Tom White

I am attempting to fit a tonneau to my WWC (I built it in 2000), and am somewhat confused by the assembly guide.

The problem is that I have four point harnesses fitted and am not too sure where the mounting points should be.

The guide seems to refer back and forward between section 18.5 c) and 17.7 d). If the mounting points outlined in 17.7 are used there are only four popper bases available for the tonneau on the seat bulkhead. The harness mounting points act as attachment points for the boot cover but dont allow any attachment points for the tonneau to the outsides of the seat bulkhead.

Any ideas ?

Confused

One either side of the zip, then one between the harnesses and then one on the side (the modified boot cover popper - so it has a popper base as it's top) does me at the moment (changed to fia bar resulting in the loss of a popper or two). The ones by the zip are needed, the ones on the outer edge are also needed, otherwise just space the remaining poppers so you don't have too much of a gap over the harness mountings (or wind inflates the tonneau).

Piers

I tried to fit my tonneau on saturday, I didn't enjoy it.

Check the poppers they sent you, the boot cover popper by the rollbar should be a double one, they didn't send me the double poppers, I rang and they came within 24hrs, they also only send you enough poppers for the installation, I had no spares so when my popper putter onner broke and I goosed 4 poppers I had to go out and buy some more (they are 15mm diameter and the new ones I got are better quality than Caterham supplied, they're also rust proof apparently). The moral is be careful with your poppers. The bit I couldn't follow was what you fixed the poppers with, I was informed by Caterham that you use pop rivits although on my factory built car the two centre ones on the scuttle and the two that hold the last press stud on the roof and the two that hold the lass popper on the boot cover are held on by self tapping screws?, the kit they sent me only had two self tapping screws?

The drill bit size for the Caterham supplied rivits is 5/32ndths of an inch, I drilled the holes once using loads of masking tape, its worth taping some spungy stuff around when you do the rivits, I managed to take the paint off in a couple of places when the rivit gun did its poppy thing.

I'm also going to put some more poppers on the leading edge of the door, it comes off around 80mph.

I'm going back to the post popper frenzy clinic now to calm down.

anyone know of a good custom Tonneau maker who can make me a tonneau to fit without the zipper down the middle and with taylored pockets for my S-type seats (ie without having to remove the headrests every time i park up?

thanks

Matt