Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Thanks to Alex & Roger for their help today!

henry21p

Dave,

not beening funny... but going on pass experience if you only have 5.5 hours then I would suggest you don't start ANY job that you think will take more than 90 mins. You know how jobs on the canwoe seem to escalate as you get into them and that inheritance is important!!!

Have fun guys... I'll be thinking of you as I'm busy trying to break my car at the Loton park sprint! *thumbup* *thumbup*

What have I let myself in for??????

I thought my curse was bad enough - 2 gearbox failures, 2 clutch failures, 4 major engine failures, 1 loom fire, crashes into or from Elises, other 7's, water pump failures, oil starvation problems, broken wings and noses, one ECU failure at the only time I looked like a class win in a club sprint etc etc.

What happens when 2 such curses meet?

Edited by - Alex Wong on 28 Jul 2006 12:45:56

Either that or there will be a big matter/antimatter explosion and Alex's house and the surrounding area will disappear in a big mushroom cloud.

6 engine failures, two "being reversed into" fibreglass incidents, one gearbox rebuild, one failed prop UJ, one badgered steering rack, one failed hub, 4 re-riveting jobs on driver's seat, 5 radiators, two broken exhaust mounts, two broken boot catches, one cant rail arm breakage, four un-adjustable adjustable platforms, numerous clutch failures, one ecu failure, one odometer reading that failed and broke on 60,000 miles and 666 exactly on the trip meter, one rabbit through a whisker, one broken front big brake caliper housing, one set of scored discs.

Collateral damage:

One rear wing (delbert), one persistent misfire after every time i visit (delbert), One sparkplug blown out of engine (dannyboy), two Academy cars crashing on first lap of a race (I pushed both of them through scrutineering on a day i turned up with the canoe), two thrown off at donington for noise despite being quieter than my car, an assortment of minor failures on myles' car after parking next to mine, one broken foot within an hour of offering to help fix the car (rebel ian), one other 21 that clipped a stone and emptied its sump onto the floor the day after parking next to my car, an assortment of "second cars for dave21p" that mysteriosly fail shortly after being purchased to keep the 21 company. GTD's car hasn't been the same since the first time I met him either....

Andrew - fixed that - and a mighty good job I made of it too. Have challenged ECR to spot the new plaster when he next comes round.

Basically I drove a self tapping screw straight into the hot water pipe for the 2 showers. As these are gravity fed, turning off the main supply did nothing. Turning one the showers just turned on the 4 bar pump which was interesting.... Took a moment to realise why it was still pouring out. Anyway, I chiselled a 10 inch hole into our new wall, cut out the pipe with a hole in it, fitted new pipework running around the previous screw hole area, put an extra block of wood in for the forementioned screw and plastered the whole lot up again. Bex stayed remarkably calm over the whole thing!

2 engine mount rubbers replaced - on doing so, discovered that the engine mount had been fitted with bolts that were too long and hence the mount wasn't done up tight against the engine.

Driver & passenger floors re-riveted. Thanks Roger for the loan of the air-powered riveter - I don't think Alex's arms would have survived quite that much riveting.

Rear of the car - the arb mounting blocks were both completely corroded closed and rusted to the car. Took an hour to get them off the car by which time one of the bolts holding it to the chassis decided it wasn't coming out at all, so we stopped for fear it would take longer and i'd miss my dear old mum's birthday!

So, all in all, the car rattles less and my arse isn't going to fall out (again), but currently running no rear ARB.

Many many thanks to Alex and Roger for the loan of the garage spaces and extra tools (as well as liberal application of a lump hammer etc when required and cunning ideas on how to remove seized parts).

However, I think the curse may have jumped to Roger's car - and he didn't even have to start her up to spot the problem..........

I owe NTL ten pounds.

Edited by - Dave21P on 29 Jul 2006 23:45:18

GTD's car hasn't been the same since the first time I met him either
It's fine now - though I think the invitation for you to visit might have been a mistake! *eek*

Het nemen van mijn Caterham aan Holland

Well nothing dreadful has happened to me or my car yet. Roger and I were just talking about taking his engine out again and spliiting the head from the block.... He was talking about getting the gearbox checked over as well. Obviously he is worried about the curse!

Do let us know when you want to sort the rear ARB. Always nice to see a 7/21 that gets used properly - cars like yours certainly have a personality of their own!

Edited by - Alex Wong on 31 Jul 2006 09:40:57

You mean a STUBBORN personality!

I'll see Roger on tuesday hopefully (pity you can't make it). Looks like it will be wet so i'll pull the front arb off as well as see what we can do round curborough.

Next weekend sound good to you? I'm free all weekend at the moment. If you have a decent local pub, I might even offer to buy you two a bite of lunch/cold beer to keep you going.

Looking at that mounting point, I reckon some remedial work might be needed to the chassis there to prevent future rotting etc or breakage if it gets under heavy load on track.