Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

filling gear box

Caesar

Okay my solution

weird but works

Get a long tube talking about 6 foot about 5mm internal diameter

A plastic bottle like a coke bottle. Now get it so the the tubing fits onto into the bottle top and is sealed you can even use silcone or something. Chop the bottom off the bottle so you now have a 2 litre container with an open top and a long tube attached

get a step ladder and attach this arrangement about 3 to 4 foot up it. now lead the tube down past the gearbox from under the bonnet so it hits the floor under the car.

Remove filling plug and shove tube in hole

Fill up the container and it will slowly fill up the box while you do something else.

The happy handle made me do it

here

good suggestion!

but cannot quite understand why there is no connection between gearlever hole and box sump or is it just a weeping joint that just lets a dribble through?

CoSwoRth it! in the end!!

I don't know if this is still a posibility with the 6 speeder but on the 5 speed box its very easy to take the top off the box and fill it - about 10 small bolts (10mm socket jobs) and off it comes. Loads easier than getting the filler plug out and in!

Drill a hole in the passenger footwel inner panel as here is the simplest solution
The biggest problem with this is that the bottle has to be manouvered within the very tight confines of the footwell & it's all to easy to spill it onto one's expensive wilton carpets. Much safer to do it from the engine compartment.