Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Autocom being fitted

The Badger

Hi

Anyone able to offer guidance to the Autocom dealer (motor bike dealer) who are going to fit an Autocom system to my car. They have never fitted one before in a 7 and say "I'm sure it won't be a problem" However............. I said that I would place this posting and ask you lot for advice - i.e best place to pick-up power feed, positioning of amp, what to look out for and what to avoid etc, etc

Thanks in anticipation *thumbup*

Freestyle 2.3 Duratec....P2YKE

• Area Representative

You'll find some instructions on autocom fitting in a back issue of Low Flying (12 or 18 months ago) when Dave Rothwell described how he had fitted one in the boot.

Personally I fitted mine (2000 Roadsport) under the dash on the passenger side adjacent to fuses. There's just enough room and I used double sided (interior mirror) stickers. I've had no problems with interference.

Best point for a live feed is from the ignition switch using the auxilliary terminal. This is the one normally used for a radio or similar and means you can use the autocom for radio phone etc. without ignition on, but switches off when you remove key.

I mounted sockets to knee trims using cable ties, but vseem to recall that I needed some extension leads to do this.

Good luck

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Mine is Velcrod to the wall of the boot. At that distance you do not need to worry about picking up interference from the engine. Power supply to the boot and leads from the Autcom for iPod, mobile phone, Sat Nav can be run under the prop tunnel upholstery. This is only kept in place by a couple of self tap screws at the rear and simply lifts off.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

Um - seriously thinking about one of these sustems - either this or Starcom (cost an issue, so maybe starcom!) - is there any easy way of using them with and without a helmet - ie, without the massive cans that make you look like a pilot!! Perhaps some lighweight headphones with a boom? Even the sort you get for 'Skyping'??

All looks very complicated as far as choice, but I am sure it isn't really!!!!

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

94,000 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car

Edited by - angus&tessa on 27 Jul 2006 12:23:46

Not yet, but remember this is a bespoke headset, it will consist of a pair of in ear headphones (high quality ones) a high quality noise cancelling boom mic and autocom connection.......so it won`t be bargain basement.

Our main driver here is comfort on long distance touring.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

Autocom fitted mine, mounts to the underside of the scuttle, although bit fiddly to get to if needs be..... We also ran a couple of permanent sockets into the dash on either side which works really well.

Earphones are in ear ones (custom moulded are fab and highly recommended) As for boom mic, I did a lot of research on these. There are some great Goose neck ones out there usually used for aerobic instructors but we went for the standard flexible booms from Autocom, a couple of small cable ties attach them nicely to Wiley X's and you have a great solution without the big cans on your ears.....

Easy non shouting conversation between passenger and driver is a wonderful thing!!!!

oh and you get the fun of watching your partner make like Annika Rice - Amanda made a great sight running through Paris on the way back from Le Mans last year..... with blonde hair, baseball cap and boom mic......... 😬 Just after taking our cambridge area extreme parking photo entry in front of the Louvre.... *smile*

David

*smile*

GF04RCE.... every day is a Caterham day!!!! He heee!!... pictures here. Problem is every day seems to be a GT4 day too...!!!

Just a thought and depends what you want to use it for but I bought one of these here or the same here without the earphones etc. It doesn't do ipod or phone, so probably not the best for long distance cruising, but it works great on trackdays and blats with mates.

Don't know if that helps,

Ben

Autocoms are expensive but the thing about them is you KNOW they are a quality product and you KNOW they will work (they're guaranteed to satisfy). They are also expandible for radios(walkie-talkie type), stereos, phones, GPS, etc. etc. Many of the extra bits you need for this (e.g. PTT switches, Kenwood leads, etc) can be picked up from Ebay at reasonable prices.

I bought a couple of Autocom units recently from their new range, and with Autocom's current discount, there was about a £50 saving on each.

Something else to bear in mind is that (in my experience) the majority of Caterham folk who have intercoms have Autocoms, so if you fit your helmet/headset with Autocom speakers/mic, you can plug straight into their units - handy for trackdays...

Most Autocoms can be run on an internal battery as well so you can put the unit in a shirt pocket and have communication in whatever car/bike you choose.

Angus - I have an Autocom set you can borrow if you want to see what they're like. Email if interested.

• 10 months later...

A big yay! for Autocom (I've got their kit and was lucky enough to live close to their factory -so dropped in a few times for bespoke kit and service. Top-notch - except that I've never been satisfied with the wind-noise on the so-called noise-cancelling mics.

They are supposed to be OK for microlight use - so why mine don't cope with aeroscreen use that well, I just don't know.

320 miles away from them at the mo, so unlikely to (ever) get this resolved. Not much of an issue in a single-seater anyway *wink*

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

We didn't rate the Autocom we fitted to be honest - it seemed very quiet in the volume department and also when you talk it takes a second or so to fire up it cuts off the first bit of whatever you're going to say. I think the Starcom one looks much better on their demo although I haven't tried one so I don't really know.

Also, the Kenwood interface on the autocom for the TK3201 is next to useless for car to car.