Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Ali rad options

caterhamnut

My Radtec is leaking (its a few years old now) and I could get it repaired, but can't help think it will just start leaking further down the core later on.

We fit our 1.8k soon, so want to get a 100% working solution. Caterham 'Radtec' equivalent is the race rad I guess, but when Mark replaced his from Caterham a few months ago, they sold him the 'new' ali road rad from Caterham (ali core, with plastic top and bottom ISTR) which I think replaces the old steel Polo model, and said he didn't need the full triple core race rad. He has had no issues with his 270bhp + VX on this, so I am thinking that this will be fine for us aswell - about £180 from Caterham. Any views on this newish ali road rad?

ta!

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

94,000 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car

I think we have had an 82 deg stat Peter - I must admit, the Radtec has been excellent in terms of cooling - temp has pretty much sat at (indicated!) 80 in all conditions (approx)

Its a tough call - new Radtec is not much more than standard Caterham ali road rad.

Should add that our Radtec was bought a few years ago now, and TBH has leaked for the last 2 years with no issues.....seaping around the top where the core goes into the side frame.

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

I've just received one of the new black top and bottomed Rad's from Redline this moring, my one concern is that it has an extra small outlet adjacent to the big inlet, what would it connect to....? dunno!? I also have to say that is looks conciderably more weedy that the triple core option.

Tigger

Tiddy, i have a remote thermostat that is fitted on the outlet of the engine, not the inlet like a standard version.

If the stat is not open then the force of the water pump at 9000rpm pushing against it tends to blow the top hose in two !!! *eek*

Mark and i have fitted this kit and have now ironed out the problem of hose issues.

74 degrees stats seem to work, although severe pressure does build up if it is not open fully.

We have drilled 3mm holes as a bypass throgh the stat now. *thumbup*

R500 Mango Madness

Very interesting Paul. Its fully understandable. However at present due to the confines of the thermostat in the 7 installation particularly with the dry sump pump I prefer to run the remote stat. This has however got me thinking that I could install the remote stat either b4 or after the submarine with a larger bypass taken off the top line hose to the same point. It would not hoowever have the pressure relief bits. I definately get more reponsive temps and understandable data on the logger. Its so easy to change the stat. But i do understand the temp differential bits accross the engine.

I'll sketch something out for the winter.

>>but can't you add a T-piece?

Recently bought the CC ali road rad to replace old style road rad; CC supply all you need: rad, rad mount spacers, new fan mount spacers, T-piece, hose.

As usual, you can waste a lot of time sourcing your own bits, or get it from CC and have more time blatting.

>>and TBH has leaked for the last 2 years with no issues..

No issues other than leaking! Fairly basic requirement in a rad.

Jerry Parker

L7 SVN

1400 Supersport

Angus

Just so I don’t highjack completely, I ran a standard Caterham rad with my 180bhp for two years without problem, I only changed to the Radtec – nice kit – cos the original started to leak.

Simon

I’ve gone the PRRT route, but I don’t have a dry sump, and the install is straight forward and quite tidy. The operation is brilliant 83-84 at anything above 40mph (including trackdays)in any weather 85 – 86 pottering around town and 89 – 90 in heavy traffic or stationary. I scavenged hoses and fittings from Landrover and scrappy’s but have got a couple of good contacts for hoses and ally connectors etc. I don’t run a bypass as the PRRT gives enough flow without and gives better control.

Paul M

Thanks guys - how does the Pace rad compare in price etc with Radtec?

TBH my radtec has been leaking (weeping) for about 2 years now - I am tempted to repalce with a radtec again (only £20 difference from caterham 'std' ali one) as from a cooling point of view it has always been excellent.....guess they all work when it comes down to it - just want to be sure for those 40 degree 'peage' traffic jams in France!

(and the rolling road on Monday!!)

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

Angus,

I recently had cooling problems and eventually replaced the lot including the rad. The new standard ali rad is slightly larger than the old type with plastic top and bottom, and so far has performed well in all conditions not going much above 80. The extra outlet connects via a t piece to the top expansion tank hose. However, when I visited Caterham this week they said they had removed this because, apparently, on a slope it is possible for air to get sucked into the system. Not had chance yet to see exactly what they have done yet but will look tonight and post if you like? FYI it was Caterham parts department who told me to use the t piece! Overall very happy though.

Hope that is useful.

Ian

Angus,

Correct, there is no drain plug or bleed plug. However having looked at the changes made on Monday the extra hose outlet has been made into a bleed outlet using a short hose and a bleed plug. Top expansion bottle hose has been re-instated.

Ian.