Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gaskets & Sealant

Mim

Can anyone tell me when refitting the exhaust system should I renew the gaskets and should anything else be used such as exhaust sealant paste? Likewise with the gaskets on the carb manifold.Should these be renewed and is sealant necessary when refitting?

there is no harm in putting some exhaust paste on the joints of the exhaust when you build it up if you are renewing the carb gaskets you wont need anything make sure you clean both surfaces you also wont need to put paste on exhaust manifold

fredid=blue> smile.gif

doesn't that paste harden in the heat ? when i asked the chap at the shop what i'd do if i wanted to change the gasket, with hardened paste all over the block and exhaust manifold, he said,

" don't worry guv, i just chip it off with a chisel. "

????!?!!!!

or have i got a different paste ? it doesn't sound like the sort of thing i want to be doing, or is it easy to get off ?

j

allen, that makes me wonder.. my silencer has somehow been shifted a couple of inches back.. probably by getting a smack from the road. it's now stressing the mounting, so i need to move it forward.

i am having problems budging it, and i guess if it's been pasted, then this will have hardened, making it bl**dy hard to shift back.

any tips for dealing with the paste ? oodles of wd40 ?

j

You may possibly have to emery the stuff off. I would NEVER NEVER use any type of hardening paste on a decent exhaust system. You can buy silicone sealers that will do the job on the collecting can etc and this can be removed quite easily at a later date with various solvents or the special removal stuff from B&Q. I think that paste and gun gum type derivitives are ok for patching your morris minor exhaust if you are using the tin can and jubilee clip method of repair. Great for rally cars but not a decent stainless system on a Se7en.

As far as gaskets are concerned it depends upon quality and condition. I use copper on my x flow exhaust and they are ok after a couple of removals. On the inlet side I would think that removal would destroy so replace with new.

Edited by - John E on 19 Feb 2002 12:27:37

Many thanks for all the advice. I have decided to replace the inlet for peace of mind and reuse the exhaust side as they appear in perfect condition.I won't be using exhaust paste as there are no obvious leaks.

i tried that, it just worryingly twisted the four manifold pipes... still, i wasn't spending much time with it; i hadn't used wd40, hoping that it would just move.

sounds like i need to devote a bit more time and effort to it.

silicone sealant.. thanks folks, i'll remember that, and try and pick some up.

see ya',

j