Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Sticky oil pressure switches?

philwaters

I fitted an warning oil pressure switch last year. It is one of the ThinkAuto parts here and I am supplying a big LED with 12v (via a resistor) and then using the switch to provide a switch to ground (chassis).

It has worked fine until around a month ago where it has started playing up. When I first start it goes out immidiately as expected and remains off during the drive - no problems there. However, if I stop the car, say for fuel, and then restart a couple of minutes later it remains on. The first time it did this I switched off, checked oil, for leaks, etc.. tried it again, ready to switch off, but it went out that time and the gauge was saying 2 bar +. It seems to have been getting worse recently and does not go out now unless it is from a complete cold start. I am ignoring it (annoying as it is V.bright) as the gauge says I have perfectly normal pressure.

Are these things prone to sticking? I've got it mounted vertincally in a T piece to get it clear of the block - is it fussy? It is cheap to replace, but I thought I'd ask if it might be an install issue rather than the switch itself.

Phil Waters

Phil

I had 2 which did the same (not bought from Think but they sell the same models). So I bought an adjustable one from Think which again started to stick so ended up disconnecting it.

A bit of a pain in the neck. Is it a case of TADTS?

Mick