Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

High oil pressure-2. Duratec

paul jacobs

Following the original high oil pressure readiing thread, I didn't want to hijack it with my own similar problem, so thought a seperate thread would be in order.

I've got a 2.3 Cosworth dry sumped '260' motor and I'm worrying that the oil pressure reading of 80-85psi when hot and at over 3k revs, and around 45psi at between 1500-2000rpm, is too high. Simon L. at CC reckons not, but I have to say I'm not too sure. This is measured through a Stack too, so is likely to be a correct reading. There are no oil leaks and the oil temp is stable at around 70-80, even in this weather.

What OP are all you other Duratec users getting?

Paul J. Life is what happens, while I'm planning something better!

High oil pressure in a 2.3 Duratec 🤔

Oh how I wish ☹️

Actually that sounds ok to me, mine runs at 75-80 psi until I get to 4000 rpm whereupon it starts heading down and at 5000 it is only in the high 40's but that's an altogether different story which should be resolved in the next couple of weeks I hope.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Paul just for reference my 2.3 260bhp Raceco built engine with a Pace dry sump has been set for about 65-70psi at high RPM when the oil is hot, this seems fine.

It did get momentarily set quite a bit higher than that until the oil filter exploded about 10 seconds after I started the engine!!!! (not by me I hasten to add 😬)

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 22 Jul 2006 21:25:01

It's a long story Paul but one which I hope will reach the final chapter in the next week or two thanks to Pete McEwen at Raceline. *thumbup* It appears there is a fundamental problem with my block that is causing the oil pressure to play silly buggers but we won't know precisely what is causing it until the engine is replaced and he can pull the present one apart.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Paul

My 2 litre Duratec runs up to 5 bar cold on Castrol SLX 0/30 with not many revs. Settles down to a max of 4.5 bar when hot at high rpm with good pressure at idle. The stock oil pump is not adjustable but the pressure release valves on the countless wet sump engines I have built have all worked fine. I have never lost a moment's sleep worrying about oil pressure issues. I have built quite a few dy and wet and dry sump Duratecs for Caterhams, Westfields, Elises and Exiges. From 210 bhp to 300 bhp +.

On dry sump engines I would also set max pressure to 4.5 to 5 bar or 65 / 70 psi as on Rob Grigsby's engine.

So in answer to your question Paul I would think the oil pressure at around 6 bar (if correct) in your engine is a bit on the high side. Can't think of any problems running a bit more pressure than you need apart from as Rob says the possibility of blowing the oil seal out of the oil filter. This is more likely to happen when the engine is cold. You shouldn't be revving a cold engine anyway.

Although I have looked at a Duratec 260 dry sump when I was visiting Cosworth last autumn I am not really familiar with it as I use Pace dry sumps. I would have thought that there would be an adjustable oil pressure release valve. This may entail removing the sump to adjust. If you draw a blank on this I can find out from my contacts at Cosworth.

Before doing anything too radical I would use use a capillary gauge to check that the oil pressure is correct if you can. I would also say your oil temperature is a bit on the low side. Do you know what oil and what viscosity is being used? A higher viscosity oil will give a higher reading in most cases.

AMMO

Edited to correct awful spelling (I bet there are a couple I have missed!)

Edited by - AMMO on 23 Jul 2006 08:04:44

Thanks for the detailed reply ammo. I'm using standard Caterham Motorsport oil, which I think is Comma 5/50 and you are quite right, I don't use any revs, to speak of, until I get at least 70 degrees of oil temp. I don't know if you know, but there is an oil to water heat exchanger in line, in the Cosworth setup, so it acts as an oil cooler and heater. To date, the oil seals in the filter have all remained intact [rapidly looks around for something wooden!]

Paul

Be guided by what Cosworth say but I think 5/50 viscosity is a bit too much. I had problems on a race engine around twelve years ago running high viscosity oil. Popped the oil filter seal and lost a crank in a race when in the lead :-( It gets worse. It was a televised support race for the World Superbike at Brands in front of 45,000 spectators and we were beating two Brittens on a Moto Guzzi. Boo Hoo. I have it on tape so I didn't dream it!

We then switched to a 10/40 and subsequenlty a 0/30 which is what I am using in my Duratec now. Castrol SLX was also used in the very successful Nissan Touring Car engines. Having said that Matt Neal was sponsored by Comma. When I questioned his engine builder(a good friend of mine) if they were really using Comma rather than take product, money and run the sticker and have something else in the sump (it has been known to happen) he confirmed that they really were running Comma and that it was good stuff. When the SLX runs out I will switch to Comma (but not a 5/50). In fact I ran Comma in my Zetec before I switched to the Duratec and managed to get a load of SLX cheap.

Personally I would ask someone in the know (Cosworth) and possibly switch oils.

Edited once to correct spelling and edited again to say that the last statement is to cover my 🙆🏻 but that I would not run a 5/50 myself.

AMMO

Edited by - AMMO on 23 Jul 2006 18:55:05

Edited by - AMMO on 23 Jul 2006 19:05:17

I ran 5W50 Valvoline fully synth in mine in America last year with no problems.

I`ve switched to a 5W30 this year and haven`t noticed a huge amount of difference under normal road conditions. I think the 5W30 warms up quicker.........

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

Paul

I spoke to my contact at Cosworth this morning. The 300 bhp Formula Atlantic engines have run on both 0/30 and 0/40 with no problems. I haven't personally run any engine with an oil with more than 40 viscosity in the last twelve years.

After having my memory re-freshed I remembered that the Cosworth dry sump system uses an additional scavenge pump and retains the stock pressure pump. So the oil pressure release valve is not adjustable. I have been told that due to manufacturing tolerances that variations in oil pressure from one pump to another do occur.

Hope this helps.

Personally I'm starting to think you shouldn't worry and stick to the oil CC have supplied as variation from this may invalidate your warranty. As a performance engine builder I hate to see power being sapped un-neccessarily even if it is to run a pump at an extra bar. In the great schenme of things I don't suppose it really matters that much.

AMMO

Paul,

Cosworth market their own specific oil for the 260 engine. I think they offer a fully synth 0W20 and 0W30. have a look on their web site www.liquidcosworth.com

There should be no problem with blowing oil filter seals as virtually all filters have the less than ideal feature of a pressure bye pass valve manufactured into each filter.

Cheerio

Rob

Rob

Edited by - Rob Walker on 24 Jul 2006 17:09:33