Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Suspension upgrade - Gaz coilovers - any good?

DomRees

Saw these on eBay, are they any good? here and here.

How would they compare to the Leda ones James Whiting sells? (Which would be £800 all round)

Also, how easy is it to fit them? Bearing in mind how important to life they are, I wouldn't want to "have a go" and find I'm staring at you guys from a cloud up there somewhere . *eek*

I'll admit it, I know sod all about suspension, and it probably shows. 😬

• Support Team

On the basis of you get what you pay for I suspect these are not exactly an upgrade. From memory, a lot of the cheap kit cars out there use Gaz dampers.

The problem with cheap adjustable dampers is that the repeatibility of the adjustment is questionable and the settings on individual units may even be different - I've heard of 2 brand new AVOs being tested and proving to have different damping characteristics.

What car have you got? The dampers shown are for a live axle car.

The standard Caterham Bilsteins are good quality units but if you want adjustable then I would save up for a set of Nitrons, Ledas or similar.

What are you using the car for? This will also have a bearing on your choice.

If you have a few hours spare, do a search on here for dampers or Nitron or AVO - theres loads of discussion/information available. And many varying points of view *wink*.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Thanks Shaun, very useful info. I think when insomnia kicks in one night I'll do as you suggest.

My car is a 1990 dedion xflow - mainly road but a few track days per year. So not really worth buying ultra sexy dampers for a car not worth £10k and barely hitting the track.

Begs the question why I'm looking to change, but the original SPAX have been on the car since new and I think it might be an idea to refresh them.

Would I even notice a different set of f/r dampers on the car?

AVO's do seem to be a very popular choice for suspension upgrades! I'm certainly contemplating them!

I'd love the nitrons, however, at well over 1k a set they're a lot of money for arguably very very little gain! It would take a hell of a driver to notice any major difference in damping between nitrons and Avo's I suspect!

Dannyboy *tongue*

• Support Team

Dom - I am sure that if your current dampers are knackered, replacing them with some decent new ones will improve the car no end.

Danny - while you are partly right (and as Saturday showed I am certainly NOT one hell of a driver) if you use cheap components, it might make the handling worse rather than better as you could end up with mismatched damping across an axle. Also if you end up rebuilding or replacing dampers after a short time then it is not so much of a bargain. Take a look at this post, specifically Peter C's comments on what makes a good damper.

Take a look at the answers to my post here requesting experiences from people who have been running AVOs for a while.

After reading all that I decided that Nitrons were a better bet even though I am not yet experienced enough to make the most of the adjustment. And anyway they just look so damm sexy 😬.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

And anyway, don't you need to sort out that smokey old engine before looking at new dampers *tongue*. I think you'd actually fail the "visibile smoke test" come MOT time 😬

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

Dom - sorry wasn't referring to your engine - you should have seen Danny's at Longcross on Saturday - we all thought he'd joined the Red Arrows.

As regards knowing if you dampers are knackered, I can't really help, but I guess if you got a ride in a similar car with new dampers it might give you a feeling for what state yours are in. You could probably get your dampers rebuilt if the bodies are still in good condition.

Changing the dampers is an easy job - jack car up, undo damper mount bolts top and bottom, remove damper, fit new damper, put bolts back in, job done. You would then need to reset the ride height.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 21 Jul 2006 14:32:58

Engine will be removed and investigated once season is finished...probably needs a rebuild ☹️

However, lets hope it lasts the season *thumbup*

Agree regarding the dampers, Nitrons really do look good....however, not all the nitrons have been faultless..............

Dannyboy *tongue*

Dom

I have GAZ on the live axle Fireblade engined Fury I race in 750 club RGB series. They have been on since the car was built (2002) and I have now done 3 seasons with them. Obviously I cannot compare them with an alternative on the same car so no idea what difference I would feel with something else on, but the good news is that when I did haver a problem with 1 of them after 4 years service I called the factory and

a) they were helpful and asked me to send it to them

b) they fixed the problem and returned the damper within a couple of days, and

c) they waved any charge inc postage.

So service wise I was impressed by the technical guy there.

Not sure that helps you but at least some sort of reference!

cheers

Colin

Dom

Purchased some gaz shocks to replace my tired spax units but have not had time to fit them yet. My reasons for selecting gaz being 1.price 2. Didnt want spax again.

They can be rebuilt have a serial number matched to a dyno print out and have a 2 year warranty.

I went for the spring and damper package and bid at his start price of £98. I didnt win but got sent a 2nd chance offer.

Q

I have heard good things about GAZ from my experiences in the VW side of things. Definitely a cut above the likes of Spax. Not comparable with Nitrons of course, which are probably some of the best engineered (also most expensive!) out there.

Dom,

If you purchase new dampers and attempt to fit yourself, be aware that the front lower wishbone bolts can be seized and an 🙆🏻 to undo. Gary at Freestyle can fit the new spring/damper units ( guess he will fit if you supply Gaz or other brand ) and also then set them up for you.

Gavin.

prisoner 43 C12 KAR - OCTANE magazine photoshoot for article on prisoner edition 7 here