Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Porous casting repairs.

Blatman

Whilst my head is off for a porting job, I'm tempted to put it in to a company called Ultraseal who impregnate castings with a resin that seals porosity. I have always had a niggling doubt about my aluminium (Cosworth YB) head, and being as it's stripped anyway, thought I'd go for the belt an' braces approach, to remove that particular niggle. Any-one else had similar treatment, or experiencesquestion.gif

Edited by - Blatman on 15 Feb 2002 18:22:58

not sure if its the same thing, but 16v vauxhall cast XE engines do tend to suffer from the oilway being too close to a waterway and it erodes -> porous head

there are a few companies who deal with this, headway in north wales is regarded as being one of the better ones 01244 821921. they can do all sorts i am told.

not heard of Ultraseal and its probably a lot closer to you, but hey. to repair those problems outlined above it costs around 200-250 quid, but as i said i dont know what leads to a porous YB head.

HTH a little bit :)

I've used Ultraseal a number of times Blat, make sure you completely strip the head including the stem seals or the sealant will collect in all sorts of places. The treatments is very effective but leaves the head covered in a very fine layer of rubbery/plasticky residue. Very effective repair can be made to specific parts of the head using Devcon aluminiumised epoxy (or of course by welding).

Oily