Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Calling Ross - we're coming oop north

Boonie Hound

We have decided to have a week in bonnie Scotland in September but have no clue as to where to stay as our base. We have pretty much discounted the east and far north for various reasons.

So can anyone suggest an area to start looking for cotages in - must be dog friendly, have things for a 2 year old to do - he loves the outdoors so castles, lochs etc will be fine. Kit shops would be a bonus - probably not too far from day out trips to either Loch Ness (I know, but I've got to do it) or Mull - yes we do want to see Balamory...I mean Tobermory. Any ideas or suggestions would be gratefully received. If you want to e-mail me don't use blatmail as I'm away from that e-mail address use my full name (not Boonie) no dots at waitrose dot com.

There are some great places close to Blair Athol/Pitlochry area. My gramps was from the area and I know the area very well.

here

This might give you some ideas. Blair Athol has a fantastic castle, beautiful walks along the river, great wildlife and close by is the distillery for a bit of the Highland Mist. *smile*

Another place I can recommend is Oban. Some fantastic places to visit nearby, you can take a boat to the islands from here also. Great sealife centre and also a wildlife park, which are fantastic for kiddies to explore. Also another distillery which produces a great single malt.I used to stay just outside of Oban at a place called Benderloch. Brilliant for trout fishing if that is your thing. The local reservoir close to this area is amazing for wildlife, I saw my first wild cat and eagle close up here. *biggrin*

If you fancy something slightly remote, then you could try and get permission to visit the isle of Rhum, which is a conservation island. I went here after my degree for a bit of a break. You can do loads of walking here and unwind.

Let me know if you need any information on any areas, as I have been to quite a few places in Scotland over the years.

Pickle

I deal with spanners on a day to day basis.

The life and soul of Mumbles

Edited by - Pickle on 23 Jul 2006 19:10:46

Oh, ah, erm, sorry to be so late to this pardee 😳

Not been very shedly or 7torquley either for that matter lately - hopefully normal service shall resume soon *eek*

Firstly, what's wrong wiv the east? Hmmm?

Dundee's in the east ☹️ *tongue*

Seriously tho' judging by your criteria, Fort William (or nearby) would fit the bill - the place itself is generally a hole, but it's an excellent spot to be based to view Loch Ness & other touristy stuff *thumbup*

Totally agree with Pickle on Blair Atholl *cool* *cool* *cool* *thumbup* - it's where I have my weekend retreat (I may have let my guard down on the accomodation type upstairs 😳) - so many nice places to see closeby, Blair Castle *thumbup*, Pitlochry *thumbup*, Queens View (utterly stunning *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*), Bruar Falls (plus House of Bruar, our very own mini-Harrods 😳) but a bit far from Nessie *tongue*

Feel free to ask any more specific questions - when are you planning on visiting?

Might be a good excuse for a blat *cool*

Ssssssssscottish SssssssuperSssssssnot!

😬 Scotland - North Of The Smoke AO 😬

Well thanks to all and welcome back Ross *wink*

I've listened and it looks like Blair Atholl area is on the cards or Loch Rannoch. (well that's what Mrs B says who has been spending hours on the net while I watch Big Brother and do my research on Blatchat 😬)

Which makes the west isles some serious day trips but it just looked good and if we are not expelled we may return to look elsewhere.

Ross - thanks and I am pretty sure I'll be pestering you again. Once we have worked out exactly where we are going I'll tell you the dates etc.

I am sure that you will love the area, it is stunning. Hmm think I may have to persuade Alex to venture up there soon, as I haven't been for a wee while.

*smile* *smile*

Pickle

I deal with spanners on a day to day basis.

The life and soul of Mumbles

Cool!

Rannoch Station / Bridge of Ericht?

Stunning road out there & fantastic scenery (Rannoch Station is a dead-end, meant in the nicest way possible *wink*) - how would you be if I organised a mini-blat for some 7s to meet you, Mrs B, R400, & BH around there one day? *thumbup*

Ssssssssscottish SssssssuperSssssssnot!

😬 Scotland - North Of The Smoke AO 😬

Thanks *thumbup*

Mrs B, who is sitting beside me, and I would love to see you and a gaggle of sevens - although I'm not sure you'll be that impressed by the Boonie family Rover 414, resplendant with its roof box and boot smelling of damp dog, or if we are lucky dog sick.

I'll blat-mail you with the dates after I have posted this. Do I have to get myself some snot green shoes to blend in?

Once again thanks all for the suggestions.