Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How much to equip my Seven with windscreen and weather gear ??

Laurence Wilson

636 already has a full dash and holes in the scuttle for wipers but was never fitted with a windscreen / wiper motors etc. Aside from windscreen and wiper motors, what else might my car be missing and how much will it all cost ??

Are there people who have gone the other way and decided they'll never go back and would be willing to sell the necessary bits ?? I've never been in any Seven other than my own so don't know how "slow" it will feel. I'm tempted to use my car all year round but don't fancy having to gear up with helmet and waterproofs for short journeys.

my flickr!

From Caterham, the complete kit is £420 for the hood, sidescreens etc.

Add to that the windscreen and stanchions, and wiper blades etc.

Windscreen £270

Stanchions about £105

Wipers and blades £30

and the cost of a wiper motor

Works out at about £825 + motor.

Personally I would place an add in the wanted section, as these bits may be available from someone who has gone aero or brooklands.

Plus the washer bottle and jets etc.

The hood is a fair amount of cash *eek* !! At the moment I'm considering using just a Jill Judd half hood - plus they look cool 😬 How effective are these in varying degrees of rain ?? I can put the tonneau on when she's parked up at work.

The current list of bits needed stands at heated windscreen; windscreen stanchions; wiper blades; wiper motor; washer bottle; washer jets; doors; half hood.

Do I need any other bracketry and bits ?? I'll stick an ad in wanted.

my flickr!

• Support Team

If you get a Caterham hood, you'll need hoodsticks and that probably means your current boot tonneau won't fit either.

The idea of using a half hood is a good one - I no longer carry the complete hood as the half hood does a great job. You get a bit of spray coming in the back on really wet roads but it keeps the rain out perfectly. It is so much easier to fit than the Caterham hood as well.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Get a Gill Judd half hood

> easy to fit

> 10 secs to put up (vs forever for the CC hood)

> and takes up the space of a small rolled up towel !

Drove down to Le Mans this year in torrental rain for 5 hours and it still kept me 'reasonably' dry !!!

And you wont need to get a new bootcover !

That`s why I`m selling the hood, I`m planning to get a half hood. I only use the hood if its absoilutely lashing down and I can`t find a pub to take shelter in.

I`ve been wondering about the boot cover. At the moment I was planning to keep the hoodsticks attached so that the existing tonneau still fits. If I take the hoodsticks off presumably I`d need a new boot cover, is this still the same one with the poppers in different positions or is there a different type?

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here