Click here if you are having website access problems ×

No more fuel in right turning curves

catastrada

Not easy for me to explain in English but I need your help.

My car : 2004 narrow body, 1.6 K engine.

During track days (tyres=048, quite a lot of grip), when my fuel tank has less than the half (else no problem), in right turning curves taken in 2nd and 3rd gear, the engine does not receive fuel during a very short period of time and then, when the car is slow (I assume less G force), the fuel comes back to the engine.

So the problem should be around the fuel pump, but what do I need to check?

I don't think that there is anything that you can easily check. The tank has a walled off section inside near the pump pick up that acts as a swirlpot and the fuel should not run away. I have never heard of people complaining about this before. We have in the UK one of the longest right handers in motorsport at Mallory park, and folks would have complained by now if this was a regular K series problem.

There is a small one way valve (effectively a flat piece of flexable plastic) in the dividing wall that allows fuel into that area normally, but doesn't let it out when cornering right. I guess there is a chance that could have failed, but you would not be able to change it without cutting open the tank. I can send you a photgraph of a K series fuel tank where I have removed the end of the fuel tank, so you can see what I mean, if you blatmail me your e-mail address.

I had exactly the same thing at Brands Hatch (at the top of the hill, don't know the name of the corner). Right hand corner with about 1/3 tank of fuel, fuel starvation for a few seconds. My car is an SV don't know if that is significant. No problem at the long sweeping right handers at Snetterton!

Bertfatal

I have had the same - in the Birkett race I found that I could do some 15 minutes less than other similar cars on a full tank. (2002 k series) The fuel pick up is on the left side of the tank. Macmillan Motorsport told me there is a baffle in the fuel tank that aims to keep the fuel to that side to stop fuel starvation.

As your problem is turning right, that suggests that like mine yours is not working - the guess was that the baffle wasn't straight. I think they tried to get something in there and get it more upright. The problem is certainly not so bad these days.

Editted to say I've just noticed that Graham has described exactly what I thought was in there - thanks!

Het nemen van mijn Caterham aan Holland

Edited by - GTD on 20 Jul 2006 08:08:17