Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Very O/T Heavy duty mower Wanted

simon67

I'm looking to buy a heavy duty mower. It needs to be able to cope with a field that hasn't been cut for 5 years (long matted grass, thistles, brambles etc)

I know that it's a long shot but the power of Blatchat does often throw up some surprises!

Cheers

Simon

p.s. I've already discounted sheep, goats and every other 4 legged mower!

"I'm looking to buy a heavy duty mower. It needs to be able to cope with a field that hasn't been cut for 5 years (long matted grass, thistles, brambles etc)"

You're looking for a brushcutter in the first instance I think?

How big is the field and how big is the gateway 🤔

Jono has the answer I think .. certainly wouldn't entertain that John Deere ride on, they aren't designed for this type of job.

If the field is big enough ask a friendly farmer to come in and whack it with a flail mower or go hire one. Then you will need to remove the woddy stumps of any true brush wood and will probably want a very sturdy handheld rotary eg Hayter with cast body (not flimsy plate) or a Kubota type tractor with rotary (expensive). Garden tractors will not handle this, you'll just knacker it.

If the field is big enough to merit it an old 30hp farm tractor with flail might be an investment since it may well be cheaper than the Kubota mini-tractor.

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Thanks guys

The field is about an acre but doesn't have access for a tractor. I have planted about 500 trees down one side so don't want it all blitzing.

I realise that only a very expensive ride on would do the job. Certainly a normal one would struggle.

I have been looking at Hayter Condors, Makita Flail mower and the Honda Rough cut rotary. I know that I'll have to do a lot of walking but at least it's good exercise.

Cheers

Simon

With a lot of scrub/brushwood and long grass you need a good flail to chop up the debris, otherwise you're going to have a large about of useless woody hay lying about that tends to block rotaries and pushing one through this, constantly lifting to release blades from blockage or to get over clump is very knackering. I had years of training from my father when he used to send me off to cut some of the rough stuff around the yard *mad*

In the first place a big strimmer with a brush cutter head may be as good as anything.

You will need to then rake up the debris and dispose of it - FIRE *tongue* *tongue*

I have such a strimmer/brushcutter if I can get it back from my mate.

Best/cheapest method to tackle this is have a work party followed by a BBQ - half a dozen seveners would knock down an acre in next to no time 😬

On a serious note I'd be happy to help .. spent years doing this sort of thing either on the farms or for friends.

Edited by - Nifty on 18 Jul 2006 18:26:13

Nifty

Thanks for the advice / offers of help.

I think I've got a short therm solution through HSS Hire. They have just started hiring sickle bar mowers. Aparently one should knock out an acre of heavy, matted grass in a couple of hours. Then I can spend the winter on E-bay looking for a really heavy duty mower to keep on top of it in the Spring.

I suspect that you are a closet arsonist so I'll let you know if I'm going to rake up the grass & set fire to it!!

Cheers

Simon

Sickle mowers may handle green bramble stems but not sure if they'll handle older woodier stems or the grass basal clumps that you indicate you have ... certainly doubt a continuous supply of them - may cause the knife to bend and sections to break, usually requiring hand rivetting replacements (they are basically a very small combine harvester knife).

And keep away from pets and children when in use because they have no blade guard at all and it will quite easily take off fingers, toes and small animal limbs.

Personally I think a heavyn duty rotary blade or flail is still the appropriate answer to the situation you have described.

Another word of advice - steel toe cap boots might be a wise investment if walking behind a flail or rotary mower since whne they hit a clump and slow you can quite often be a bit slow to react and take a step forward putting your toes in the chopping line.

(If you have no other need for them then a cheap pair from an army surplus place would probably suffice).

I hope this doesn't read as if I'm trying to be a smart 🙆🏻 but I've undertaken many such jobs - just passing on my experiences and thoughts *thumbup*

Thanks for the advice Nifty

I'll let you know how I get on with the sickle bar (as a short term solution)

I'ts amazing how much of my brain power (not much left now at 38) it is taking to contemplate buying a mower !

Cheers

Simon

I have seen machines that resemble small rotavators and are equipped with heavy duty strimmer type blades at the front. As Nifty says a domestic ride on has no chance. It's unfortunate that you can't get a tractor in because one of them plus a flail would be the best solution till you get it under control.

Failing that buy a decent strimmer and blast round it. 1 acre will take about an afternoon bacause it's knackering, noisy, unpleasant work.