Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Duratec woes

timbo

I'm at a wits end. Can anyone shed a little light on the following.

cyl 1. spark plug - new plug fitted. ran for c. 20 mins came out as put in from new

cyl 2. spark plug - new plug fitted. again ran - removed - plug sooted

cyl 3. spark plug - new plug fitted. again ran - removed and condition as cyl 1.

cyl 4. spark plug - new plug fitted. again ran - removed - plug sooted.

Idle lambda fine @ 14.9-15.2AFR

On any throttle above idle AFR drops to 10.5-11.2 ... yet 2x plugs don't show this over richness.

I've balanced the TB's & set bleed screws (No. 1 cyl runs a little leaner than the other 3).

I've checked for spark - all 4 coils firing.

I've swopped injectors across - same plug reading irrespective of injector.

Silly question, but Ford wouldn't have incorrectly applied their sticky label that numbers each coil terminal?

SV 2.3 Duratec and for the last time, no it is not a truck

Forgot to add:

I've checked injector pairing with the emerald: 1&4; 2&3.... ie. correctly batched.

I've checked injector setup on the emerald matches.

Does it run on 4 or sound like its running on two cylinders

Do you have or can borrow one of those laser temperature guages. This way you can check to see all 4 cylinder are firing properly by pointing it at each exhause header. It will be obvious the ones that are not as they will only show 120deg as opposed to the ones that are running fing and showing about 500+ deg

This was the same as one of the westies owners who was also having coil problems ie HT side not connected up properly

Of course I may be talking crap in which case just ignor me

NE7Club Web Site

R5 no 65 😬 *cool*

I have to agree that it sounds like an ign problem. I have swopeed the leads arround....no improvement. The curious thing is that it sounds like it is on all 4 cyls. (Perhaps I should tell you I have completed 2200 miles last fortnight in France). Yet it is getting much worse to the point I am going through plugs like no-ones business on the 2 relevant cyls.)

I'm suspecting a coil thats breaking down on cyls 1 & 3.

I used the Raceline supplied B9EFS plugs on my original (226bhp) engine and it was a very sensitive to fouling on start up, changed them to BR7EFS and recently to Autolite Resistor 103 ($1.20 each) copper plugs and it starts and runs great now. Not to mention that I have junked the Weber Alpha ECU for an Emerald *thumbup*

However all that said, it sounds like a coil pack breaking down

Duratec SV, built in Dubai *cool*