Click here if you are having website access problems ×

old mini & K-series?

masha

does anyone know if 'old' mini in its later incarnations was ever fitted with a 1.4k engine like the Metro (sorry Rover 100). Just curious, anyone know. ... and I take it 'new' mini has a completely different non-K block in it now shes a BM?

Matt

No it did not ever change engine - the reason I believe was that you could do minor tweaks to an existing design without going through the whole homologation (sp?) procedure but if they were to change the engine then it would have to be re-tested as a new car for crash testing and all of that and it would never get through that process.

It does fit though as I have seen a magazing article on a conversion some years ago.

Nick

Matt,

The old A series never went to 1400 in a Mini.

You could bore them out to 1380 and 1400 using Truimph Spitfire or Omega pistons.

I ran a 1430(stroked crank) with alloy 8 port head, all straght cut gears and an LSD. definitely exciting to drive on damp tarmac.

TonyR

Edited by - tonyr on 14 Feb 2002 14:34:02

smashing speedy response guys this PM on this question appreciated - that's filled a few gaps in my knowledge of the little buggy. (I was just curious if I could use my spare 1.6k Supersport block in one next year, if/when I source a 1.8 VHPD from Minister to replace it with).

Anyway with mods. like that to old mini (which in my opinion still looks the best especially in its later wide wing & wheel Cooper combination), who needs new mini (although I appreciate its now aimed at a totally different market). I still think that new Mini is so different, larger etc they should have called it something different like Mother Mini, Bigger Mini or maybe even Maxi (oh they've tried that haven't they).

Thanks guys I take it some of you have had some involvement with Minis in the past - I may still get on (strictly old mini) yet, as an alternative to the push-bike through the Canterbury streets to work when its raining (because I don't use my 7 for work I'm not that silly).

ttfn

Matthew

Seen a similar thread to this somewhere else..

The old 'A' series would go to 1550 if realy pushed, but the best motive power by far was provided by the Jack Knight Mini-Ford adapter kit which would take a crossflow or BD dry-sumped on a mini transmission, you could blissfully trash transmissions every day of the week..

Oily

There is already a 16V head available for the A series block, manufactured by KAD.(Kent Auto Developments?) I assume they are still in business...perhaps someone could confirm this.

I remember the Talbot brothers using a KAD headed A series to excellent effect in their record breaking Hillclimb Lotus 7 during the early nineties. Think they got about 180bhp from 1400cc.

Chris.

A Mini with a 1300 BDH using a Jack Knight Mini gearbox conversion would be interesting.

My 1430 used to break drive shafts so fitted Jack Knight shafts.

Then the pinion in the diff sheared, fitted Jack Knight straight cut CW&P.

Then the straight cut drop gears went through the alloy housing, fitted Jack Knight gears with timken bearings.

Then second gear((straight cut) suffered, unable to afford Jack Knight dog box.

Had kids sold car. Now want a Caterham.

TonyR

Edited by - tonyr on 14 Feb 2002 17:46:35

whilst the K was never fitted to the mini, it has been done and does fit. I have certainly seen Clubman fronted minis for sale with K engine transplants.

I thought you could take an A series past even 1550 to over 1600. I'm sure Vizard's book mentions Keith Rip (of Ripspeed) autocrossing something with a silly big A series. I remember that past about 1400cc they tended to make less power, but more torque.

There was I think a prototype cooper with a 1800 engine, I assume B-series? I think B series convertions have also been done, to the detriment of the handling.....

J

Masha,

There was an article recently (within the last 4 or 5 mths) in one of the mini magazines about a 1400K fitted mini. Can't remember if it was clubman fronted - I think it was a normal front. I think it is a conversion that's not for the faint hearted!

If you fit yours, let me know how you get on - I'm building a mini at the moment which currently has MG metro block - not sure what to do with it.

masha. you could have used an engine from an allegro, bored out it could achive nearly 1600 or the austin 1800 was once used by john cooper he even attempted a mark one mini with two 1275`s` motors, i think the gear linkages caused problems with that one. you can tune an mg metro engine for fun and find endless states of tuning, at the same time you dont need to go big engine for power, ive seen some pretty hairy `a` series minis under 1000 cc without spending a fortune. a local lad raced a 803 morris minor against the whole opposition in cooper esses` in various states of tune, he wiped the floor with them.

I saw the BMW K headed mini engine, looked like he had fun with the belt pulleys and welding up the bolt holes, there are a couple of 8 port 8V heads for the 'A' series, the old Arden one now made by mini-sport and another who's name escapes me, there is also the seven port which is a cross-flowed 12g940 head with inlet ports grafted into the front of the head. There are two 16v heads, the KAD and JKD's own, but the K in 1800 format would make the ideal unit with spectacular tuning potential and ready made transmission.

Oily

I recall a thread like this from somewhere else...

In order to fit a different engine you're probably best off chopping off the steel body work for the front end and using a GRP or Carbon front end. Modifing the existing subframe is a possibility for fitting a Vauxhall (you can buy the modified frames) and I would measure up the front end of a k-series Metro and compare to the Mini subframe. There will be much more space under a one piece GRP front end.

Thought about doing this as a tinkering project... The missus won't let me fiddle with her new MINI (which is good, and is much better value for money than old Mini - one of the best quote regarding Minis was from Top Gear mag. They tested £11,000 worth of the 'Tarts Handbag' Coopers (magnolia trim, 13" wheels and big spats) and concluded that an old £500 quid Mini on skinny 10" wheels was much more fun.).

Piers

I know it's not a mini, but is is a fun BL product, also with a name that matches it's dimension, how about a K-Series Midget?

I've seen a couple of these conversions that look like it was made to measure, but don't remember which gearbox was used.

In fact, IIRC someone on here has/had one.

Just a thought.

Mark

My Mini ended up as an OAP 1380cc, 4 speed. I still got a 998cc but not done anything with it. I read of late some guy followed the kit car trend and put a motorbike engine in. I remember ages ago that someone even squeezed in a 2.0 16V from a Calibra, had to modify front subframe and extend body. Madness.

RM.