Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Radiator mesh

Nick

I've come across a few people after wire mesh to protect the radiator. One of two local Homebases stocks 1/4" mesh in 3' x 2' sheets (6mm mesh .9m x .6m). The supplier is:

Gardman Ltd

Pinchbeck

Lincs

PE11 3SQ

England Fax 01775 710223

Black Hammerite, or whatever, and away you go.

Nick

Or . . . £12.00 fire guard with fine mesh, already painted black. Snip off the shiny edging, cut to shape with wife's special scissors, cut hands to shreds on the exposed edges, put blunt scissors back exactly where found, and hey presto! Mine is secured to 7 grille with small 'twists' of copper wire and painted black. Smallest tie wraps would do too. Have a look at P127 MLE at Le Mans with the club.

Tim Neill

I had a look in Homebase but they only had 13mm mesh. The one marked up as 6mm had something like 6cm gaps. Similar story at B&Q. This was in the garden section. Should I look in the heating section for a fireguard or elsewhere ?

Davebo

C7 CAR

Davebo

There are two Homebases near me but only one stocks the mesh, so there's an element of luck involved. B&Q, et al, did not have any.

The stuff I bought was in the garden section, along with other metal meshes, all with bigger holes, available in flat sheets rather than rolls.

Tim's idea of the fire guard sounds good though - maybe the shops will be selling them cheap?!

Nick

• Leadership Team

Re. B&Q.

Check out the hardware not the garden section. It's with the steel rods, ali sections, nuts bolts etc. They have a variety of styles however tarty you want to be. Or just ordinaryslit/drawn plate like mine.

Our B&Q isn't one of the fancy warehouses so I would think most stores stock it.

Stu.

• 2 weeks later...
Homebase have end of range fire guards in now at £9.99 in black. Just the right size to bend to shape and fit on to the radiator fixing bolts using washers and an extra nut on the spare thread. Fits sbug up to the front of the radiator. I've just replaced my rad after a stone got it on the Le Mans trip!

Whilst hunting for some mesh in B&Q I came across their fibreglass insect mesh (on a roll). I have cut a section out and placed it behind the grille. Slotting over the grille posts and ty-wrapping here and there.

It may offer a bit of wind resistance and a big/fast enough stone may pierce it but,

- it's cheap (UKP7.99 for 7m roll)

- it's easy to fit

- it's light

- er, it's black

I'll let you know if it proves pants.

STOP PRESS! The car ran hottish in traffic (75-80deg) but on the open road it was 65-ish.

Davebo

C7 CAR

Edited by - davebo on 28 Jun 2000 15:40:01

Nick,

I was at the factory last week and I asked Len Unwin & Tim Ward the same question. Their reply was that in Caterham's experience nobody had ever had a rad. pierced.

I told them this was crap because I had and they looked at my mod. (pinched from Paul Freeman),and said it looked goodv. I explained that it cost me the grand sum of £8.50 (6.25 paint spray, £2.25 mesh BUT enough for 6 Caterhams !)so why didn't they do it as standard or, at least, an option;- reply was "we'vew got to leave something for the punters to do". !!!!

Jules

Jules,

Fair enough! I'd rather they left me with that to do than anything vaguely technical!

How's that R500 of yours? I met up with Dave Higgs at the weekend (he was at Castle Combe with us) - what a car!

All the best

Nick

I'm glad the R500 is behaving itself; hopefully any problems were teething and it will now be Top Banana!

Cadwell, what a circuit! Do you know of any other days there this year?

Thanks, Nick