Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ECU Fan Control

Dunsfold Dave

I have just fitted a triple pass? rad and larger fan with ECU control. Does anyone know at what temp the fan is supposed to start. I didnt have time tonight to check every thing but I ran it up tp 76deg and fan had not started. At what temp can I expect it to kick in?

DD

angus ... set the fan switch values yourself to suit your eng. remeber the emerald normally reads about 10 degrees higher.

firstly set the on switch value high... say 98 on the emerald.

Run the eng. Keep your hand on the large stat hose. At the same time keep your eye on the the emerald temp reading. When you feel the stat begin to open keep that temp value as a ref. When you feel the stat circuit fully open, keep that value as a ref.

Essentially once you know the stat temp operation in reference to the emerald coolant temp reading, set a switch 'ON' value, say 10-12 degrees higher. Set the switch 'OFF' value 4-5 less than the switch 'ON' value, making sure the stat is still open at this 'OFF' switch value.

If the fan runs too constantly, simply adjust the switch values to suit your requirements.

I have my Duratec switching on @ 95 off @ 91.

The K will be soething similar assuming a 82 degree stat.

SV 2.3 Duratec and for the last time, no it is not a truck

Your right Angus... I would not expect a fan to operate on any eng below 80.... the engine is just not up to efficient operating temp at anything less. I remember trying a 72 degree stat on my SV 1.8 K modified using a radtec rad. I couldn't get any heat into the engine at all. I had to block off the bottom 3rd of the rad. In the end I dumped the 72 and fitted an 82.

SV 2.3 Duratec and for the last time, no it is not a truck

The relay supplied with the ECU kit was faulty I have installed a working one and the fan starts at ....69deg.

Driving yesterday in heavy traffic in very hot weather my temp never got higher than 80deg. I was having overheating problems which is why I have installed the triple pass rad and larger fan, but before doing this I removed the stat just in case it was the problem, so I am running without a stat at present.

DD

Mike

Its in front of the rad and yes it is a bit noisy.

So perhaps I should get it reprogrammed to 80deg. I did check through the Stack programmables and the standard road stack that Caterham install limits what is user adjustable.

What is the optimum running temp for the R400 road engine?

DD

• Support Team

It makes no sense whatsoever to start the fan before the stat is fully open - your are just cooling still water in the rad. Standard Caterham stat is 88deg, many people use an 82deg stat (me included) and the R500 stat is 74 deg.

On my Emerald controlled high power K, the fan is set to come on at around 96 or 98 (can't remember which) and off again at about 92 - this works fine (and is about what the normal fan switch is supposed to do). The fan should only really be required when you are stationary or moving very slowly - at any decent speed the airflow from the car moving will be much greater than the fan can produce. At the Longcross sprint on Saturday, waiting in the queue with the engine fully up to temperature, the fan cut in and out as necessary to keep the temperature in the low nineties on average - as soon as I started the run, the temperature very quickly dropped to 80ish.

I think people get a bit panicky about K series temperatures and try to overcool the engine - I am sure this is not the right thing to do as the engine needs to get the oil up to its correct operating temperature. Even in the heat of this weekend, my oil temperature never got over 80 deg, despite the water temps mentioned above.

Yellow SL *cool* #32