Click here if you are having website access problems ×

BEC MOT?

Mike Molloy

Has anybody got a (non-catalysed) BEC through the new MOT recently?

I am booked in on Friday and the MOT man told me to bring my V5. If course this has a reference to the emission standard the car passed when it was SVA'd. I am a bit afraid the "no visible smoke" rule for kit cars has been withdrawn and I have to meet current standards.

If so I am boned... *mad*

Roman Motors of course. Nige Marston put me on to them a couple of years back.

Robin seems to be particularly enthusiastic about my car as he is a biker (GSXR750) and therefore found the 'bird lump interesting.

I have no idea how the new rules will pan out with respect to my engine. There is a comment on the V5 about the SVA emissions, but I don't know if it will be achievable with no cat.

IIRC the car was registered in December 2000, and has the VIN letter "S" to suggest "factory built", even though I think that "factory" was Blackbird Motorsport not CC...

Edited by - Mike Molloy on 12 Jul 2006 16:39:10

Mike,

I think you'll be OK if Robin's attitude to my non-catted 200bhp K on TB's was anything to go by....

"Don't care what the computer says, as far as I'm concerned it's visible smoke" 😬

Having said that, at the time Myles was playing with his Emerald to get a pass on his modified EU3 car, then we all referred to the MOT handbook that had the line about testing to what appeared on the V5.

Mine didn't have anything *thumbup* Result....No test required 😬

Robin has always taken a very non-jobsworth and enlightened view in the past (especially as the reg. is A = 1983...)

This time I guess Big Brother is watching him.

The V5 certainly does have the SVA emissions limit stated.

I just have to hope Mr Honda builds a nice clean engine!

best give it a good thrashing in advance to make sure it is up to the required operating temperature... *tongue*

Let me know how you get on as I'm in the same boat. My BBird ( carbs ) MOT is due in September and this will be its first under the new computer regime.

One aspect that worries me is that VOSA are now increasingly using mobile roadside vehicle checkpoints that lets them test your emissions against the MOT value. *eek* *confused* 😬

Well, the good news is that it passed! *thumbup*

Much to my surprise the Blackbird was in fact listed on the computer, so no faffing with model options.

Unfortunately the computer also suggested it should be subject to a cat test, which was obviously wrong as the bike engine doesn't have a cat fitted. Anyhow the MOT man was happy to apply some common sense and pass it anyway. *cool*

I was a bit upset to discover I've only done 500 miles since the last MOT though... ☹️

Unfortunately the computer also suggested it should be subject to a cat test, which was obviously wrong as the bike engine doesn't have a cat fitted

I understood ( *confused*) that even though bikes don't have cats, once an bike engine is fitted to a car, it will require a cat if the car is of an age that a cat is required for emissions.

Might be wrong though 🤔

Simon

Caterham Fireblade here

I am of the same opinion as manxseven, once a bike engine is fitted in a car the fact that it did not have a cat on the bike is irrelevant. But well done if you got the pass anyway *thumbup* 😬

Edited by - mikeg on 17 Jul 2006 13:19:24

• 4 weeks later...

Well it passed!

It looks as if the computer system is not as restrictive as I first though. The chassis number came up as a Caterham but no other details so we just put in Model as Seven.

He checked the lights, looked for visible smoke, check for any play in the stearing and asked if the brakes were OK. Job done 😬

Life begins at 10,000 *cool*