Click here if you are having website access problems ×

OT Elise engine swap

Red SLR

Request for info from 7T:

"OK, without getting into the whys and wherefores, there is a car without an engine at the moment. Existing engine cannot be repaired and a new one is required. All things being equal, what engine is a straight swap, is there a 1.8 k-series and box that WON'T fit.

Cheers.

BB

PS Best way of getting the old lump out? "

http://www.seventorque.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3054

LeMans 2006 photos here

The Caterham block is modifed for the starter and may give a problem with mounts for exhaust manifolds, the spigot bearing fitted might also give a problem with the gearbox first motion shaft, otherwise the differences between installations are minimal, the MGF has a revised dipstick tube/oil filler that can be replaced and there will be detail differences in pipework and peripherals, all these cna be overcome easily.

Oily

If the question is about what engine and box to put in an Elise, you should really only consider the MGF unit as a whole. The engines/boxes shipped to Lotus (for the standard car) were identical. If you are after an 'engine' only, pretty much any will do so long as you swap the peripheries over.

Donor 'units' from other vehicles will have the wrong gearbox and harness and may include other items such as PAS pump and a/c units that are not used on the Elise.

Would there be any benefit in sourcing a 1.8K from a FWD model? I thought the long cooling pipes on the MGF were partially to blame for the HGF issue?

I wouldn't worry too much about which 1.8 I got because you could fit all your old dress items onto the replacement engine?

Isn't the usual way to remove the remove clam and lift out the old enigne?