Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery Drain ??

Crany

My Caterham (1.6K Supersport) has an electrical fault that is draining the battery, this is with the ignition off and the imobiliser not set, something is drawing 0.46 amp ? Occasionally something around the ECU (the MFU ?) position is cycling on and off (clicking noise), when this happens the drain comes and goes, any ideas what the cause could be ? Any ideas where and what to check ? Make it simple for me please as I don't do electrics !!

Mark.

Mark - I've been through something similar with my '97 1.6K (EU2) SS. In my case the immobiliser state makes no difference.

The box under the ECU is the MFU. There's a relay in there which should turn off about 5 mins after you turn off the ignition - if the ECU doesn't allow this to happen then you will see ~0.45A. According to this place here it is a known fault with Rover MEMS ECUs.

Is there any pattern to the clicking you here? Have you tried gently flexing the cable to the ECU to see if that affects it?

I've currently borrowed an ECU off a local Se7ener and this works correctly. Meanwhile I sent my ECU away for repair - it cost me £170 and came back with a new circuit board in the existing box, but still has the fault *confused* I'm currently waiting for the repair company to get back in touch.

cheers,

Darren.