Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-Series info (1400SS)

olij

Please could someone point me towards any informative web sites where I can nerd-up on the 1400 k series supersport? Apparently Dave Walker had a good site but can't find the link any more.

Or........I could just ask you guys my question, which is primarily how do they withstand being raced? I've scanned through the archives and so far they seem to be reliable units but I cannot find any direct references to effects of racing (other than significantly amplifying the problems of road use!). I am looking at a possible car this weekend coming (1993 750mc/goldarts car) and would be very interested in learning from your collective experiences of raced 1400SS'.

Edited by - oli j on 13 Feb 2002 22:39:04

Two sites which help explain the mysteries of the K series here & here.

It seems that your question is aimed at "should I buy an ex-race car?" Well as long as the car's been well maintained & the price is right then it should be a reasonable bet. Most race cars probably receive more regular servicing than some privately owned examples. In deed stay clear of the one careful owner, very low mileage, always garaged, never been on track, always serviced every 12000 miles example. By on condition & price.

Mick

I have 3 problems with my car, in 4/ 5years of ownership,

1) I think luck of the draw, Blown head gasket / boiling (whichever came first?) this is a known problem with K series if you don’t keep an eye on the water level / temp. More likely due to my inexperience and not doing basic checks !

2) The other problem was gearbox related and I lost 3 rd and 4 th gear. I expect this was due to race wear, although I have done 10 thou miles before it packed up.

3) And the battery packed up! Not bad for 4 years plus.

When the box was repaired, I had it BGH ed I had the 1 st and 5 th gears replaced with different ratios and filler and top cover mods. Best 450 squids worth you can spend on a car with a 5 speed box.

I have not delved into the engine yet, so I do not know if it has metal lifters. But the car came with Ltd slip diff , adjustable shocker mounts and roll cage, in the price. Despite buying it from a garage, I was lucky in that was well maintained before I got it ( I found out later !) been a good little motor ever since.

Like Mike says, if you can prove the providence, either by other club members who know the car, by a substantiated service history, the 1400 are a great car to start with. It is fast, maneuverable and probably the best handling of the Caterhams to date, No bad habits in road handling. Not SOO powerful as to frighten you, but enough power to enable you to gain respect for the car.

TonyIsh

(written in word, so there may be ‘ things !

Thanks guys!

Great links to excellent pages with enormous amounts of info! I'm actually looking for a racer - I recently sold a Scholarship sprint car which did 9000 faultless miles in my ownership. Brill car, just want to replace it now!

Cheers Tony, how many miles have you put on your car/whats the total? Your reasons for ownership sound very similar to mine. Does your car have a dry sump?

In your opinions, would track miles (about 12K) with a standard wet sump seriously limit the longevity of the engine?

Thanks again,

Oli

Edited by - oli j on 14 Feb 2002 12:07:28