Click here if you are having website access problems ×

throttle body upgrade

Richard J Darnell

I'm trying to put together a definitive list of all the components needed to upgrade a 1.6 SS k-series to direct-to-head throttle bodies.

My rather obvious list so far is:

new ECU (Emerald M3D)

DTHTB (probably Jenvey)

I understand it is possible to retain the existing fuel rail/injectors and fuel pressure regulator, so what else do I need?

As an example, Simon Scott has mentioned off line that a VVC plenum chamber head gasket is needed to go between the TBs and head.

I also understand that it is better to use a modified caterham throttle linkage (from elisedrive) rather than bother with the Jenvey one.

Anything else that I need?

The TBS will need some light fettling to match the inlet ports, you will also need a spout attaching to the from TB for the water hose. The gasket you need is GUG704064MG and costs about £5, the bolts from the plenum will need some modificastion to stop them fouling the TB bodies and the linkage drop arm requires judicious bending for it to function properly.

The throttle bracket from Bernard Scouse (Elisedrive@aol.com) costs £10 and is ideal for accepting the standard cable at the correct angle to operate the quadrant.

I would alss enquire about his airbox kit, it will keep noise levels down and allow you to duct cold air to the TBs and retain the existing fuel rail, injectors and pressure regulator.

If you get the PTP TBs, you will need to fettle the inlet ports since the manifold runner holes are *much* larger than the inlet ports, this is a 'head-off' job.

The kit also includes the necessry bits to re-route the engine breather to the airbox backplate, since it will no longer be attached to the plenum. You should als plumb the air temp sensor into the airbox backplate.