Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Grinding from rear discs

susser

Yesterday, at Heyford, during the track session, I pulled in a couple of laps early 'cos I heard a grinding noise coming from the NSR area. Once pitted, the noise had gone but it was too late to rejoin ☹️.

Looking at it today I've found that the noise was coming from the rear disc. The witness marks on the disc show that there was contact. (The NS was worse than the OS) here.

When I measured the clearance between the caliper carrier and the disc I got only 0.45mm-0.70. Looking at the carrier here it's easy to see the corresponding contact point.

Searching on Tech Talk revealed this here.

I'll rattle Caterham's cage on Monday; I've got a recall notice to fix (FOC) a fault on my Volvo that's 17 years old so I didn't ought to have trouble with a 8 year old Caterham did I ?.

PS The Volvo recall notice expires on 2030 *eek*. And Volvo'll collect my car from my home address at my convenience. *thumbup*

Anyway, failing that I could always file them down. I suppose.

Edited by - susser on 9 Jul 2006 18:30:01

Thass a good idea

I'll put it in 5th, gently kiss the angle grinder on the periphery and get a pukker job. *thumbup*

Only need 60 thou clear I gather. So I got .45 mil and I need 1.6 ish should be no sweat. Trouble is; I just got back from a walk along the beach and some chips etc and I gotta git in the garage and get the brakes loctited back together ready for a blat tomorrow eve.

Better stop yapping and get on.

A good point Stuart 😳 *smile*

o/t Susser, would you like all the pics I have of your car, taken at Heyford, on a CD? Just email me your address if you are interested - (pics linked to on chat thread) *thumbup*

www.mycaterham.com

here

91,000 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car

Angus.

That'll be good. I've got a downloaded copy of that one you took through the Roll Bar as my wallpaper. Smashin. *thumbup*

If you send me the CD I'll do an NTL bung. *thumbup*

Thanks.

Stuart/Angus

Yes, I gave the wheels a really good shaking and there is no evidence of play at all.

The disc faulty manufacture theory fits;

The contact was all radial, none axial.

The radial clearance (cold) only 0.45mm NS 0.55mm OS

I Assume the wheel bearings are angular contact or deep groove ?

ie non adjustable ?

Edited by - susser on 13 Jul 2006 09:42:01

Edited by - susser on 13 Jul 2006 09:43:32

Update;

After the sorting of the grinding, I've gone and forgot to tighten the rear wheels and lost one see here.

The new discs I've now fitted have even less clearance than the others (about 0.4 mm).

This time I've a plan to remove about 1mm of metal from the caliper carrier, as I'm sure it's got enough over engineering to cope with it.

This must be a common problem. Unless I've got incorrectly drilled DeDion ears.?

Am I one of the unfortunate few 🤔 🤔