Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vibrating Rear

tom7

At a recent test session, as the speedo reached the 3rd digit *wink*, I experienced a vibration from the rear end. The tyres are new and the wheels recently balanced, is there anything particular I should pay attention to or is it just a case of spanner checking all the fixings on the rear suspension and the diff mount. Anybody had a similar occurance *confused*

Tom

Well I spanner checked everything and all I found was that the rear ARB was disconnected at the chassis end. I cannot remember disconnecting it ever, so either the vibration has wound out the fixing or that was the cause *confused*

I'll try it tommorrow on another private test session *wink* to see if that's the fix.

Other than that, I'm stumped.

Any other takers?

Buckled wheel rim or the old problem with the edge of the rear discs hitting the calipers when hot. Check that you have a minamum of .060" between the lip of the discs and the inside top face of the calipers. CC sold a batch of discs that were 3mm too big on diameter and when they expanded when hot they hit the caliper .

A can of tyre foam to repair a slight air leak sent my wheel completely out of balance.

such bad vibe that at 70 my vision was starting to blurr - Yeah I know, always read the label. "use for temp fix and limp to nearest tyre place for proper fix" 😬

- just a thought.

Hants (north) / Berkshire club here

Area meeting pics here

My Racing here

Edited by - stevefoster on 9 Jul 2006 18:49:43

As the vibration is speed related not revs related I've discounted the prop as it will achieve the same speed in each gear. Wheel out of true is a possibility (they're Barnby's) so the plan is to give it try with my trackday minilites.

Failing that I can only assume driveshaft or hub bearings - Is there anything I can check for without taking the hubs / dedion ears off ??