Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil usage. 1.6K Supersport

Delberts Wallet

Just been on the Swiss trip and also took in a few other countries while out there. Travelled a total of 2200 miles in the 8 days including the Ring for a couple of days. *thumbup*

I managed to get through about 5 litres of oil usually having to top up after about 2-300 miles.

Most of the discussion was that the rings are on there way out, the engine has done around 30-35K and I do push the car (on track you understand 😬)

I'm thinking that a Ltr/400 miles is quite alot *confused*

Gareth

Blue and Carbon 6 Speed Supersport with new wheels

For comparison, my 1.6K used no oil at all in 2600 miles around France, including a trip up over the pass into Andorra. Admitedly no track use in that, but I don't seem to use oil significantly on track either.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

see here - UPDATED

At that level of use wouldn't you expect blue smoke from the exhaust?

Start the engine. Let it idle for a 5-10 minutes. Then press more than half way down on the accelerator (to 4500-5000 engine rpm) for 2-3 sec. while you look at the smoke from the exhaust.

Jerry Parker

L7 SVN

1400 Supersport

I had a very similar problem.

Car had done about (17K 1.6 SS)

I was loosing about 1ltr in about 150 miles! but no smoke...

Had big end bearings and piston rings replaced and its been a lot better. I still loose a little but much better than practically pouring the oil in one end to see it disappear straight away.

forgot to say that I think it also had valve seals done as well? (if there is such a part! :-) )

I had CC do it for me but cant tell you the cost as it was present when I bought the car from them and the 3 month warranty paid for it - phew!

Gavin

Edited by - Gee Whizz on 8 Jul 2006 17:57:55

Norman,

Even F1 pistons have oil control tings.... withou oil control the oil will lower the octane of the fuel and detonation will result.

All the many pistons I have used over the years have an oil control ring of sorts.

Forged K pistons in all their guises have two compression and one oil control

top ring is steel, chrome or moly faced

second ring is cast iron and often a napier scraper

oil ring is either 3 part composite with expander or u-flex

Dave

Edited by - oilyhands on 9 Jul 2006 15:42:44

Hi Norman,

I've had a look at a close up of the piston photo, there are three rings, the top one is moly/chrome plated and hard to spot in the small photo since it's finish is similar to the pistons and it is flush with the land, at first glance the piston looks like a 2 ring, the second ring is a plain iron ring and the third is a 3 piece oil control with expander. The photo of the bare piston show 3 clear piston grooves.

Oil