Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VVC Oil Pressure Loss, opinions needed

daveley

Story so far, I have 1.8 vvc with Apollo tank, sump foam, halfords 5w 40 oil, modified sump gasket here mechanical gauge which reads 65psi (4bar) on start up, 50psi (3.5bar) when warm and being driven, ticks over at about 17psi (1.1bar). but when being driven hard on bends and roundabouts I get oil pressure loss and the warning light comes on which is set at 35psi. any suggestions as to what to do next my oil level seems right but do I put more in? , remove sump foam? Oil pump overhaul? Hellier baffle ? I need to get this sorted as its obviously spoiling my enjoyment and i'm booked on the bh track day in sept.

thanks in advance Mark

Edited by - daveley on 7 Jul 2006 16:55:40

All of what you describe seems perfectly normal for a wet sump K series assuming reasonably good tyres.

The only way to avoid this is to dry-sump the car, but I'm not sure this can be done with a VVC car. There is mixed opinion about the Hellier baffle, personally I thinks its an expensive way to achieve not very much! Why not try setting the warning light to a lower level.

Sorry not much help, but it's a case of TADTS *smile*

What sort of problems are specific to dry sumping a vvc, its probably out of the question for me funding wise at the moment but maybe something for the future,

If it’s a case of TADTS what sort of pressure loss and for how long is acceptable before doing some damage . i think i will try sump foam out next as that must slow the oil returning to the sump in some way

thanks for replys mark

The oil gauge is well damped, and so I reckon if you're seeing the pressure drop off in fast bends then the pick-up is sucking air not oil....IMHO the pressure reading on the gauge is meaningless under these circumstances and there can be no 'safe acceptable pressure loss' . It's only a matter of time before you bugger the bearings, but how long I don't think anyone can say. I had the same issue with my VX even with a special baffled sump replacing the foam, and I must admit the bearings were perfect when the engine was stripped, but I don't think I'd like to risk it every day...that's why I've DS'd it now as it's the only sure-fire solution.

Paul

Daveley, the problem is G force making the oil move to the outer edge of the sump as you corner. The foam in the sump is there to stop this happening and try to keep the oil in the middle of the sump so the pick up doesn't suck in air..

I think you're options are:

1) Dry sump or Hellier baffle (assuming this works)

2) corner slower

3) Be prepared for an engine rebuild

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

looks like im going to have to save some pennies for this then as i don't like options 2 & 3 much, i'd be interested to know of any vvc owners out there who dont have any oil pressure loss problems or maybe have done a dry sump on one

Mark

I have a dry sump VVC, I believe it was the 3rd Caterham to be fitted with VVC the first one with a dry sump.

I did Castle Coombe and Silverstone and never had a problem.

I would recommend this upgrade

Jack

Emily, The Very Yellow 21

Daveley

I did mine (dry sumped the VVC) last year (sold the car now) and it sorted out the oil surge. For some reason the VVC engined car suffered oil surge far worse than a normal type engine on same car set up.

I can only presume it hangs onto it's oil at the top of the engine somehow but overfilling didn't help.

I did an article in low flying with the mods to the kit like lowering the right hand engine mounting, grinding the pump cradle, lowering the column etc. I used the Caterham scavenge pump and a Brise tank and had no problem with oil temps or pressures on track or off.

millie found you article in the low fly mag good to hear that when i go down this route asap it is the ultimate cure and will give peace of mind, might need to pick your brains when i go ahead with this if thats ok.