Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K1600 ECU/fuel injector problem...ideas?

Unclefester

I just took the SV K1600 out for a visit to the dentist and noticed it seemed to be running very rough. I thought it was because it was almost out of petrol initially so put about 8 litres in from a jerrycan, but in fact the problem continued.

It seems to be under 3500rpm, it is hesitant, stutters, and isn't giving full power or pulling properly, and the throttle control is very jerky and non linear.

After coming out of the dentist I tried the thing I've heard about....with the ignition on, press the throttle pedal down about 8 times and this supposedly 'resets' the ECU??????

Didn't seem to make any great difference unfortunately. 🙆🏻

Any ideas?

I'm supposed to be using the car to get to LeMans tomorrow.

NICE PLATE!!!

😬 😬here *eek* *eek*

Thanks, just did this and will test it on the road and put some petrol in when it stops raining.

Am I right in thinking the ecu distinguishes between 95 and 98 octane unleaded? I normally use 98 but I had to put a lot of 95 in on return trip from Switzerland, but the car ran faultlessly the whole trip, with 400miles plus of mostly motorways between Geneva and home.

Then, first time out of the barn since the return, and it has this odd problem! *confused*

NICE PLATE!!!

😬 😬here *eek* *eek*

Cagey, The odd thing is, it's fine over about 3800rpm! Pulls fine, no missing, seems like normal...it's just gone weird under 3800 or 3500.....try pulling from say 2000 in 3rd, it just won't go!

Spluttering, jerky power delivery, not getting the power or revs until I change down and boot it, then ok over 4000rpm.

It was a real fun experience just now, coming back from the dentist with a head full of lignocaine, no tongue, all lopsided, in pouring rain with no roof.....WHY OH WHY etc.

I was having to drop a cog, boot it from 4000, wherapon it would immediately hit water and aquaplane.....great! *tongue*

Cagey, it's a standard K1600 not Roadsport, so are you saying I should use 95 all the time?

NICE PLATE!!!

😬 😬here *eek* *eek*

Edited by - Unclefester on 6 Jul 2006 17:35:54

An Emerald M3DK is a programmable ECU for the K series.

On all 1600K, i would use 95 unless you have a programmable ECU and have had the car maped on 98.

Sounds ignition related, as it is breaking down under load.

Checkcondition of the plugs etc. as mentioned before.

Cagey, How would I know if the ECU is progammable?

Where is it and what should I look for?

Remember, I'm used to Webers and not this new fangled electronic stuff.....fortunately I've never had this sort of thing with the Integrale, or my normal everyday transport, a Suby Outback.

NICE PLATE!!!

😬 😬here *eek* *eek*

Cagey....someone seems to have nicked the distributor!

Actually, I don't believe such things have been used for about 30 years have they? Were you pulling my leg? I think they use a Hall effect sensor to trip the electronic ignition.....no need for distributors any more!

I can't see anything vaguely resembling a distributor or even a coil, and the plug caps are a bit complicated looking and I couldn't get them off, didn't want to force them with a screwdriver......and you can only see two, the others are invisible under some sort of supression things.

All very odd. *confused* *confused* *confused*

I didn't see any sparking from the leads or caps though. *wink*

Looks like a trip to the ex Rover garage in Limoges is called for...what a 🙆🏻mer.

NICE PLATE!!!

😬 😬here *eek* *eek*

Edited by - Unclefester on 6 Jul 2006 18:26:18

My EU2 1.6K has a distributor.

That is all it does. No points etc. operated by a cam.

Is on the end of the head, driven by a camshaft.

The leads come off, just be gentle.

You may have an EU3 with a wasted spark system?

The coil pack will be on the side of the engine below the inlet plenum.

I picked up a set of plugs from my local motor factors.

*arrowup* Coils under spark plug cover? Could be! There are two flat oblong things with leads coming out, I thought they were suppression things.

I really must get a Haynes manual.....unlike CERTAIN PEOPLE with blue cars (From the Swiss meet) "My toolkit is an Armani suit and an Amex gold card......" I prefer to know what the hell is going on under the bonnet!

Plus I find Hugo Boss SO much nicer than Armani, I mean, Armani....just a bit common, no? *tongue*

NICE PLATE!!!

😬 😬here *eek* *eek*

Edited by - Unclefester on 6 Jul 2006 19:07:51

Oh dear! So to get at the plugs you need to remove the coils, or I'm a turkey.

I guess I'd better get the old crowbar out as I wasn't able to remove even one plug cap by "Normal Means"......I'm beginning to wonder if the problem os related to the fact I've just changed the front mudguards?

Maybe it doesn't like its new ones? They aren't even KLAMS!!!!!!

NICE PLATE!!!

😬 😬here *eek* *eek*

So....couldn't it be some sort of fuel injection problem? It's like having the first jet blocked on a carburetted engine.....is it possible to have a primart throttle problem with FI which clears on full opening?

I will change the plugs, but I reckon a Rover diagnostic check might tell if it's FI related or definitely ignition. It's very strange that it started just like that, the oly thing I thought might be responsible was the very low fuel level, but it has filters, and it didn't actually run dry..... *confused*

NICE PLATE!!!

😬 😬here *eek* *eek*