Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Peugeot 406 handbrake adjust.

Sheds Moderator

I've just bought a new tintop, it's a yr. 2000 406 2.0 petrol with discs at the rear. The handbrake mechanism is inside a small brake drum in the centre of the disc, and the whole disc/drum assembly is held on with the hub bearing in conventional fashion.

I need to adjust the handbrake. The Cavalier I used to have had a very similar arrangement where you turned a starwheel through a slot in the drum. I have had the inspection plug out of the drum/disc on the 406 and can't see any similar mechanism. Obviously i would like if possible to avoid stripping the bearing (it's got a peened nut) to pull the disc and see what's going on and I haven't yet got a manual.

Does anyone know how it's done?

Very funny thinfourth, however unless Peugeot are in the habit of putting a rubber bung in wheelbolt holes then that's not it.

All of which leads me no nearer to actually adjusting it. I can't find an adjuster on the backplate. Might have to have a closer look, there might be a port somewhere round the back so you can get in to adjust it without removing the wheel.

Thanks Richard,

It actually worked out OK. There is no need to strip the bearing and all becomes obvious when you have taken the caliper off and removed the disc. The adjuster is a bit of a sod to operate - the hole is too small to see what's going on. I did discover the antirattle mechanism in the bottom of the drum ☹️, which bodes ill for the quality of the job done last time. Good thing I investigated the scraping noise then.