Click here if you are having website access problems ×

I need more KWs

Alby

I own a K-Series 1600 1998 De Dion Caterham. In March 1999 I purchased the Supersport conversion for this vehicle, consisting of camshafts, new computer and air cleaner. This has been installed.

I am at the moment looking to find extra Kws power through more work to the head and to achieve this my mechanical engineer has asked me to get the specifications on the Supersport camshafts and flow through the head.

In the sprints I compete in there are two quick W*******ds that I would dearly like to pass, hence the quest for extra Kws. Any suggestions from yourselves as to how best achieve this would be greatly appreciated along with the specifications of the camshafts and head flow.

I am hoping to be back on the track within a fortnight, so would really appreciate an urgent reply by E-Mail to cjsconstruction@dezzanet.net.au

Thank you in anticipation.

Alby Littlepage.

The airflow graph for the stock K16 head is on the website mentioned by Robmar, a 'good' head peaks at about 74-75 CFM @ 10mm lift and 10 inches of water, a bad one can be as low as 68-69 CFM. The supersport cams are very mild with only around 260 degrees of duration and 9 and a bit mm of lift.

A well ported stock valved head will flow around 90CFM, a big valve equivalent (29.5mm valves) will flow between 100-110CFM depending on how bold the porting is, this is marginally higher than a stock VVC/VHPD head (98-100CFM).

There is a wealth of info on the site with suggestions to take your 1600K up to and beyond 200BHP(149KW) and over 145ft/lb(196nm).

Oily

Sadly we measure engine performance in light idea.gif bulbs these daysconfused.gif. However if we are going to perform equivalents then let's have it right[:;] shall we.

200 bhp = 149.14 light bulbs

145lbf/ft = 196.5939Nm

[;E]teeth.gif

Steve B