Click here if you are having website access problems ×

oiling trunnions

Jam Mad

so, i set off last night in the light drizzle on the short walk to my garage singing,

" hey-ho, hey-ho, it's off to oil ma' trunnions i go, "

to the tune of that well known disney film... but my joy was short lived, 'cos the oil safely squirted everywhere, but into my trunnions. sad.gif

having searched the archives, am i right in saying that step one is to try again with the nipples removed, before step two, crying " help! " and finding a pal who can help me take the things to bits ? i assume the nipples just come off like a nut from a bolt. ?

all the while sniggering at the task at hand of course.. oiling nipples tongue.gif

cheers,

j

James,

What did you use to oil the trunnions with?

Was it an oil gun?

If so, try putting a single "sheet" of cotton cloth between the nipple and the gun.

Then be fairly forcefull as you sharply pump the gun.

The oil will force its way through the cloth, the cloth will also provide a seal.

Stop when the oil escapes from the top of the trunnion (by the rubber seal)

If all else fails you can simply unscrew the nipple and use a syringe to fill to the top, before replacing the nipple.

Steve

www.Se7en-Up.co.uk id=limegreen>

cool, thanks. i was using ep90 in a james whiting gun. i was putting so much pressure to try and force it into the nipple, that the oil was coming out of the wrong end of the gun !!! and the end of the gun was screwed up tightly too. also, i did check that the gun was working fine.

so i didn't have a problem with it not sealing on the nipple, annoyingly. i think i'll have to remove the nipples and try again.

but you say with a syringe ? will i get this from the local housing estate, or do you mean a little plastic one ?

j

James,

The oil out of the wrong end of the JW gun is a design feature!

Try the cloth method with rapid, short, stabbing type presses.

It will work, though it took me a number of tries to perfect the tecnique.

Also you shouldn't have to remove or loosen the nipples to do the above.

Before I got an oil gun I used to remove the nipples and use a syringe to top up the EP90.

Best source for these was the vets or if all else fails try stairwellswink.gif

(PS My vet is a classic car nutter! - who was familiar with trunnions - result!)

Steve

www.Se7en-Up.co.uk id=limegreen>

I seem to remember (back to the late 80's) having to change the nipples on the front uprights as the ones fitted were incompatible with my grease gun and that fitted all the nipples on the propshaft perfectly, try your gun on the prop but don't grease it with EP.

Paul

Edited by - Paul Turner on 12 Feb 2002 11:26:38

oops.. now you're over-reaching my limited ability paul.... if you have a mo', i'd be grateful to know...

- which nipples on the propshaft ?

- where is the propshaft ? ( i know roughly of course... )

- how would i know that it worked on the propshft nipples without oiling them ?

would i be right to say that removing the nipples and running them through with a pin might help ? i assume that they are just little tubes through the metal, and not valves ?

j

The nipples on the prop are on the front and rear UJ's (diff and gearbox ends), these should be greased every **** miles, I do mine every spring with ???? grease. The end of the gun should snap onto the nipple and provide a leak proof fit (not). If it snaps on then its the right fitting. It then requires a firm pull to remove (sometimes not easy when you are covered in grease). The nipple has a small ball in the end to make it like a one way fitting so you cannot poke it out with a pin.

With all this talk of nipples and poking i'm off to lunch.

Paul

cool, thanks chaps. i'll give it another try using the cotton'n'pump technique mentioned above, and leave the prop-shaft nipples to be greased when i next take the car in for a "things that i either can't be bovvered to do, or don't know how to" service.

j teeth.gif

With regard to removing the nipple entirely - is the hole at the top of the oil cavity or part way up? Can anyone confirm either way? It's along time since I oiled a trunnion.

Jam - one fairly reasonable explaination for no oil wanting to go in is that your trunnions may be already full.

Have a look on www.lumatic.co.uk. This outfit can supply a replacement adaptor to fit the nipples for £2-3. The conical type adapter on the Whiting Oil Gun is u/s. Or if you already have a 'grease' gun, you can probably use the (screw off type) end off that if it is the same thread.

Get a good quality grease gun and put the oil into it and off you go. Yes there may be differnt nipple sizes but the ones on the trunnions are the same as the uj's on the prop shaft and are a standard size so most if not all guns will fit. This also means that you can use the same gun for both jobs. You will have to purge it before use but thats not a problem. I leave mine upside down ofter using oil in order to drain it. If yours are not filling its probably because the nipple is gummed up with grease or a n other. When the trunnion is full the oil will flow out around the seal. I fill mine every couple of months or so and have never had a problem although they were initially filled with grease, by the previous owner. Take out one of the nipples and visit your local motor factor or even Halfords for a fit up job.

They are peculiar (very) to the live axle cars with the single top link on the front suspension. Just in case you don't know what you are looking for, they are brass cylinders about 1" in diameter and 2" tall, and connect the lower wishbone to the front upright.

Dedion cars, and those converted (properly) to double wishbone do not have trunnions.

Graham,

My car has been converted to double wishbone "properly" and does have trunnions. The differnce is, the uprights with trunnions are a standard Triumph part (less expensive) the non trunnion upright, is a Caterham made part (expensive).

And early de-dion cars did have trunnions!!!

OK so I stand corrected on the early dedions (hybrid) cars as they were developed back to front (if you see what I mean).

True there were many double wishbone conversions - but my understanding is that the current offereing doesn't work properly with the the Triumph upright unless you replace the upper ball joint with a non-Caterham one. Hence the Pukka ones have a dedion style upright and both new wishbones - at a hideous price!

Dons nomex clothing and runs for cover...