Click here if you are having website access problems ×

12 questions: 12 postings or 1?

Hi there,

I'm a "CSR owner in waiting". Since committing to a life of low flying pleasure, I've come up with some really basic questions which are listed below. The reason for this posting (which is my second thread) is to ask about the local posting etiquette; do people tend to post lots of questions on one posting, or split them into many over a couple of weeks?

Just for background, I'm hoping to use the CSR for UK and then European touring with my wife. I've kind of planned three UK routes;

- Steve Carter Scotland + Lake District en-route

- The Big Welsh blat (plus as many narrow gauge railways as I'm permitted)

- 5 of the "top 10" Caterham routes from their web site

The only European tour I've been thinking about seriously is going to Switzerland in May based around a hotel we like in Interlaken.

Anyway the questions are;

1. What printed information do you get with a new Caterham?

2. Do you get something as basic as a parts list and a circuit diagram? Maybe some simple way of ordering bits I’ve broken…

3. Is there a conventional service book with service intervals and service requirements?

4. How do you change a tyre without damaging the powder coating on the space-frame?

5. Do you get a jack with the car?

6. Anyone got any comments on effectiveness of that foam which is used to pump up a flat tyre?

7. Anyone had a damaged tyre which can't be bodged with foam? Is it the kind of thing that the RAC can fix or am I better off making my own arrangements if I'm going touring?

8. With (fairly) gentle on-road use, how long do the tyres last?

9. I will be keeping my car in the garage BUT the garage is also inhabited by birds from time to time therefore it's essential to have a cover over it. Does anyone know of a good pre-made cover? Maybe one good enough for outdoor use as well?

10. Has anyone fitted a Sat-Nav? (Or is this heresy?) I was thinking about fitting it over the CSR's extensive central glove compartment. Then I was going to fit some of those little luggage nets recommended on MyCaterham.com.

11. MyCaterham also recommends a tool kit. Looks good to me, anyone got any comments on additions?

12. I got hooked on Caterham’s by hiring one for the day. The only problem I had was the mirrors. I only get mirrors if I’ve got the doors on plus they don’t stay in one place. I notice that if you buy the aero windscreen, there are some bolted to the body which would not work with the hood up. Anyone found a way of fitting good mirrors that allow use of the hood?

I know I'm posting in the wrong forum to ask about these issues; I'd just like to know about the local custom and practice.

Thanks for your attention. Kind regards,

---

David Waine

Edited by - PorkieAndBest on 4 Jul 2006 15:42:49

*smile*

Don't worry about custom.... and we are more than happy to help with your questions or point people at them who know better *thumbup* In no particular order........

Probably best ask questions in groups of two... the people in Chitchat get a bit edgey if you ask too many questions at once *wink*.... Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions too - tis the only way you learn stuff round here

I never owned a 7 from new, I bought it second hand from Caterham so not sure on what documentation you will get. I am sure if you ask them, they will provide you with the build manual that the non-factory built cars come with. I got a "hand book" with the car too with service info in it. I am sure you will get the same.

Parts can obviously bought from Caterham Parts dept but it is worth shopping around for the more generic parts such as oil filters, plugs, brake pads, discs etc etc.

Place a rag between the jack and the car... saves damage to the powder coat.

You should get a jack with the car and a wheel brace (I did). I put the jack in the garage and removed the spare wheel soon after buying the car and have never needed them (on the road)... Always carry a can of Tyre Weld though - it does work really will if you get a puncture.

It depends on what tyres you have as to how long they last. Rear tyres wear out quicker than fronts. I get 10k out of my rears and 15k out of my fronts. I use Yokohama A539's at the moment but softer compound tyres will wear out much quicker.

Sat Nav is handy... make sure it is a removeable unit otherwise some scrote will remove it for you

There are loads of mirrors available. I used the SPA mirrors attached to the windscreen stantions - or fix them to the aeroscreen when I use that. Door mirrors are ok but tend to flap in the wind somewhat. Have a look at my website at the pictures of my car and you will see here.

Car covers are available. I got a cheap one from Halfords and it does the job just fine.

The tool kit I carry is basically a 19mm socket for the wheel nuts, a spare clutch cable, a 10mm hex key for various drain plugs and a stub screw driver for the dzus fastners that hold the nose on. Also a handful of cable ties and some glue.

The best thing to do is get to your local area meet and ask the guys there... they will have a wealth of touring experience between them.

There are numerous 7 owners between here and Switzerland too - if you run into trouble they (more than likely) gladly help. That's the beauty of the club.

Hope that helps a bit *thumbup*

Alex

S713UMY

1.8K Viper Blue and Spandex

Edited by - abirtwisle on 4 Jul 2006 12:23:24

Problem with Caterhams is that they are all slightly different and hence the written materials can be somewhat vague. Blatchat is your friend though - and you have MAV (Martin), an excellent and knowledgable Areas Organiser up in Cheshire too who will offer advice and contacts. The cost of new tyres is somewhat academic I find to the overall owning experience. They tend to be something of an upgradeable item, rather than a consumable, if you know what I mean! *wink*

Tyre weld is fine for punctures. However if you trash a tyre and split it, then you're stuffed. I did that to a trailer tyre once - three wheels on my wagon! However I live life on the edge, as I've just driven from the UK to Holland with no spare wheel and no tyre weld either! *eek* Might pick some up!

I know that all forums say this - the search facility is really good. Do ask away, and I am not doing that unkind to new people thing, but I do find that a search on, say, mirrors might suggest a few useful thoughts and help you to ask something focussed on what you want.

Mind you a search on spandex, cucumbers or sheep will also suggest things you would not want at all!!

Het nemen van mijn Caterham aan Holland

Welcome - you've hit a curious part of Blatchat...

The dirty dozen:

1. What printed information do you get with a new Caterham? Sorry, no idea but you certainly get FA when you get one s/h

2. Do you get something as basic as a parts list and a circuit diagram? Maybe some simple way of ordering bits I’ve broken… a wiring diagram is available as a pdf file, use the search facility and you should be able to find and download it

3. Is there a conventional service book with service intervals and service requirements? 😬

4. How do you change a tyre without damaging the powder coating on the space-frame? jack it up carefully - rubber or wood between car and jack

5. Do you get a jack with the car? If you get a spare wheel I would expect one - if not, not

6. Anyone got any comments on effectiveness of that foam which is used to pump up a flat tyre? not used it

7. Anyone had a damaged tyre which can't be bodged with foam? Is it the kind of thing that the RAC can fix or am I better off making my own arrangements if I'm going touring? if you do that much damage to a tyre, I would expect something else to be keeping you from proceeding

8. With (fairly) gentle on-road use, how long do the tyres last? 4,000 - 5,000 miles - some say further - take it out on an airfield - then less

9. I will be keeping my car in the garage BUT the garage is also inhabited by birds from time to time therefore it's essential to have a cover over it. Does anyone know of a good pre-made cover? Maybe one good enough for outdoor use as well? plenty around - Caterham, Soft bits for Sevens to name but two

10. Has anyone fitted a Sat-Nav? (Or is this heresy?) I was thinking about fitting it over the CSR's extensive central glove compartment. Then I was going to fit some of those little luggage nets recommended on MyCaterham.com. I use Sat-Nav. The problem is that it does not think in a sevenesque style. If you say Fastest route - it aims for the motorways, even if they are double the distance. If you ask for Shortest route, it includes some cart tracks with crops down the middle. To use it at its best you need to check your prefered route on an altlas and programme in a route itinerary. Difficult to do in a hurry. Cargo type nets from James Whiting

11. MyCaterham also recommends a tool kit. Looks good to me, anyone got any comments on additions? think about what jobs you are prepared to takle and pack tools and bits to solve those problems. - and an AA/RAC card for the others

12. I got hooked on Caterham’s by hiring one for the day. The only problem I had was the mirrors. I only get mirrors if I’ve got the doors on plus they don’t stay in one place. I notice that if you buy the aero windscreen, there are some bolted to the body which would not work with the hood up. Anyone found a way of fitting good mirrors that allow use of the hood? you can't use a hood with any sort of aero, so this is not really an issue - if you want the hood up, you probably want to doors too. Me, I never use the hood.

David,

Welcome.

Where in Cheshire?

In answer to your questions...

1. What printed information do you get with a new Caterham?

Not a lot. Reciept, Owners manual, build manual if you are self building...

2. Do you get something as basic as a parts list and a circuit diagram? Maybe some simple way of ordering bits I’ve broken…

Not unless you a. self build, or b. buy one. Calling Parts at Dartford is easy, and the guys know the part numbers almost off the top of their heads.

3. Is there a conventional service book with service intervals and service requirements?

Yes. It's part of the owners manual (or used to be)

4. How do you change a tyre without damaging the powder coating on the space-frame?

Not quite sure I understand your question? It's the same as on your normal tin top. No need to go anywhere near the chassis, Jacking points are descrived in the owners manual. If you are worried about marking the chassis, then use a small square of carpet or rubber on the jack.

5. Do you get a jack with the car?

Yup, unless your car is supplied without a spare wheel / carrier in which case, its pointless to have a jack.

6. Anyone got any comments on effectiveness of that foam which is used to pump up a flat tyre?

It's ok, and many people carry this. I understand it can render a tyre unrepairable though.

7. Anyone had a damaged tyre which can't be bodged with foam? Is it the kind of thing that the RAC can fix or am I better off making my own arrangements if I'm going touring?

Take out breakdown cover with your insurance, its usually a bit cheaper than buying it later. RAC / AA man can't bodge a tyre fix!

8. With (fairly) gentle on-road use, how long do the tyres last?

Depends on your description of fairly gentle use. I run 16" wheels with Avon ZZ3 and get about 10000 miles per set. Someone I know runs CR500's (15") on his 140bhp SV and gets in the region of 6K per set...

9. I will be keeping my car in the garage BUT the garage is also inhabited by birds from time to time therefore it's essential to have a cover over it. Does anyone know of a good pre-made cover? Maybe one good enough for outdoor use as well?

Check Caterham parts store, or one from Halfords, or your local motorfactor, or softbitsforsevens.co.uk

10. Has anyone fitted a Sat-Nav? (Or is this heresy?) I was thinking about fitting it over the CSR's extensive central glove compartment. Then I was going to fit some of those little luggage nets recommended on MyCaterham.com.

Yup, I use my PDA based TomTom. Others fit Garmin / TomTom / A.N.Other and its fine. You will need a power point in the car though.

11. MyCaterham also recommends a tool kit. Looks good to me, anyone got any comments on additions?

Basic tools you would be happy to tour with. Last year across the usa, I took a complete 1/4 and 3/8 drive socket set, full range of metric and imperial sockets, spanners, pliers, snips, cable ties, gaffa tape, etc etc.

For uk, touring, I tend to take a few screwdrivers, a small selection of commonly used sockets and cable ties & Gaffa tape. Also a spare Throttle and Clutch (may not need Clutch cable on CSR) cables are a must.

12. I got hooked on Caterham’s by hiring one for the day. The only problem I had was the mirrors. I only get mirrors if I’ve got the doors on plus they don’t stay in one place. I notice that if you buy the aero windscreen, there are some bolted to the body which would not work with the hood up. Anyone found a way of fitting good mirrors that allow use of the hood?

Some fit to the stantion, and just restrict the opening of the door. Nifty is doing a set of 'clip ons' so you can run sans door. I took the doors off last year in the States, and just used the centre mirror for large chunks of driving. Not as bad as you think, especially if you are an 'aware' driver.

Also check out the Caterham SV / CSR Register here when it is back up and running *thumbup*

Details of your local area meetings are in the back of Low Flying and the Area Meetings Page

Regards,

Martin

M.A.D AO

Hi there,

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I've clearly underestimated the need for duct tape & tie wraps. You guys could be having me on because the chap in the shop never mentioned either item...

Just picking up on a few responses;

> Where in Cheshire?

M6, J16.

> Sat-nav

Some really good comments there; I never thought about "Caterham friendly" route planning, but you're right.

By way of a post script, I've got to tell you that I'm just so excited. The engine/wind noise are just the most wonderful thing. Wife may need some bedding in however... (I'm sure I should of used a smiley there, but I'll figure out how they work some other time).

A friend of mine has a Caterham which he races; I've been offered a go in it next time he has a track day at Oulton Park (week after next). Looking forward to that. Although I've got to say that wearing out tyres quickly in the company of 10-30 other people trying to beat him (and me as the passenger) to the finish line is not perhaps something I'm looking forward to...

Thanks again for all the input.

---

David Waine

David *thumbup*

You should also get over to Curborough (just north of Litchfield) to the club sprint in August. A good day out and a good chance to meet some new folk too.

Alex

p.s. we're not having you on regarding duck tape and cable ties. My washer bottle fell off while at Snetterton about 3 years ago... Not a Postman Patt (NaPP) gave me a couple of cable ties and that is what has held it in place ever since 😬 *thumbup*

S713UMY

1.8K Viper Blue and Spandex

Edited by - abirtwisle on 4 Jul 2006 21:33:47