Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec Cam timing - how to?

philwaters

Got the new girl running yesterday and whilst it started first time on the button, it kind of ran like a tractor (no 'they all do that, sir' comments please!)

The carbs were balenced and the idle screws set as well as we could but it still had too much fuel that it was dribbling back out the carbs, didn't want to rev and had a funny pulsing exhaust. I think the cams timing might be the cause.

Question is 1) how do I find the TDC position as the Raceline sump has no marks and 2) how do I set the cams to the right postion - am I right in that they have slots in them that you line up and hold with a tool - is this a special tool?

Any tips and hints for Zetec owners and twiddlers welcome.

Phil Waters

2000 Zetec is in, waiting to start it up wink.gif

Phil

The cam timing is dead easy to check if you have timing marks on the sump (would be surprised if the Raceline one didn't but mine's Dunnell) and the tool that goes between the slots in the cams. I purchased a short piece of stainless angle 5mm thick, works a treat, the guy told me that mild steel is still imperial. Follow the instructions in Mr Haynes manual but ignore the bit about the auto tensioner, mine was as tight as a drum and sounded like it. James Whiting recommended a 90 degree twist on the longest run and it was fine after that. With no timing marks on the sump a dial gauge will be needed with a very long probe.

Paul

Phil as per the haynes book the racline sump may not have the timing marks on it do not know for shaw but if you remove the plugs and place a very cleen long bolt down onto the piston crown and turn the engine you can see the bolt make TDC or use a bolt and a dial guage then place the Zetec cam timming tool in the slots at the back of the engine if they do not fit then undo the cam pully bolts and turn then until it slides in and tighten them up if you need to borrow the tools i have contact me 01472 590325 I made a bracket to hold the dial guage on the head.

Paul

Setting the cam timing as per the book is all very well but in my experience it leads to innacuracy. A better method is to find the recommended lift at TDC for each of the cams and set using this value, there is a procedure describing how this is done here, if correctly done this will give an absolute precision to your cam timing. Once you have accurately established TDC then the set up is easy.

Oily

Hi Phil,

Glad to hear it is running, albeit with a problem, but I'm sure it can be sorted quickly.

I have just the tool you need at home, there is nothing fancy about it, simply a piece of mild steel flat bar 40 x 5 mm x 250mm long.

As you know, my factory is in Basingstoke and I probably have something like 120 metres of 40 x 5 flat bar in stock so will have a piece cut for you this afternoon if you want to pick it up.

Just as an aside, are the HT leads on the right coil terminals?

Give me a call soonest, I'm sure we can get you up & running. thumbsup.gif

Brent

Thanks Brent, I will see you later today,

I don't think we checked the coil leads - didn't think of them, but I am pretty sure they are on right. I will check them before taking the cam covers off!

Thanks

Phil Waters

Hi everyone.

I borrowed a DTI from Raceline last night and set the engine at TDC using that ( a nice confoluted method from Pete, but it sounded technical!) and as soon as I took the cam covers off I could see one of them was out. It turned out to be the exhaust that had moved one tooth - presumably when I fitted the different water pump. My own fault - Doh! A quick rotation on that and the tool (thanks Brent smile.gif) slotted in fine and then tension back on the belt.

The engine then started first time and sat and purrrred away - making me a happy bunny teeth.gif. Not at all like the old X/flow - I couldn't believe that it didn't need nursing until warm!

Thaks to everyone here for the advice,

Thanks again to Brent for the 5mm flat bar/tool,

Thanks to Raceline for the loan of the DTI and protractor for setting TDC,

I'd just like also to thank my manager, my family, my cat, ... oops wrong speech.

Phil Waters

2000 Zetec is in, start it up last night wink.gif

Edited by - philwaters on 12 Feb 2002 11:09:59

Hi Phil,

Glad it all worked out in the end.

If you think it sounds good whilst idling, just wait 'til you start giving it some welly! thumbsup.gif

Yet another Zetec to swell the number of existing converts. Do you think there will come a time when there are more Zetecs than X/Flows fitted to 7s? teeth.gif

Keep me informed about the delivery situation on the heater pipes and send me directions to get to your place so that we can fit the elbows this weekend.

Brent

Brent,

Careful or we'll get thrown off here by the masses smile.gif

I mailed you a set of directions, let me know if they don't arrive. I will call you when I have the hoses in my hands! Better safe than sorry knowing my local post.

Phil Waters

Hi Brent/Phil/commonerswink.gif

On the road...yes (well, its got wheels on it)

Running...no DOH

I have in my hand.......a braided pipe for the clutch that only took 2 1/2 weeks to get made up! It arrived this morning after repeated phone calls.

All I need is the oil pressure switch that Demon Tweeks have promised to send today (they said that last week too) and it will be "go for throttle up!" wink.gif

I will be at the Phoenix (makes a change from the garage/computer) so will see you both there.

Steve

www.Se7en-Up.co.uk id=limegreen>