Click here if you are having website access problems ×

differential on live axle

Richards 7

Hmm

Just taken my se7en to my mates garage to discover the strange noises come apparently from the diff. It's a live axle version and he says difficult to repair. You out there may know differently.

By the way I'm in Lancashire 25 miles north of Manchester so contacts local to me would be best.

Typical, just when the sun shines........the open (????) road becons then...clunk

R ☹️

Not difficult to repair at all, not sure of anyone in your area but you could try McMillan Motorsport nr Leicester who look after the Live Axle race cars or Steve Perks at SPC in Redditch who will rebuild it for you. He advertises in the back of LF.

Complete axle rebuild is approx £400

Graham

*smile*Lotus 7 Club General Secretary *smile*

• Area Representative

Richard

Ford or Ital?

Either way it's a question of removing it and seeing what's wrong. Could be just bearings or could need new crown wheel and pinion. Just recently changed an Ital diff and crown wheel and pinion were difficult to source as they are getting rare.

I have a slide hammer for removing half shafts if you need to borrow.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Thanks for the replies, most useful, please keep them coming.

Yes Mike it makes a noise but has not stopped working.......but.......the noise it makes is so bad I can't hear the engine !!!!! (thats a first). That's why I have started to investigate

I think it's a Ford one, I will check.

Could it be the bearings inside have broken up, and if so is that better (?) of the the options. ie : will it make me cry less. By the way the sun is STILL shining and I'm having to rive around in a diesel A2 (sob).

R

• Area Representative

If it's Ford, then I am very familiar with them. May even be able to put my hand on a cheap second hand replacement if that's what you want.

If it's pinion bearing, it is usually accompanied by a loss of oil from the nose of the diff. Could be bearings on the crown wheel carrier, or even teeth breaking up - recent Ital diff I changed had about 10 teeth floating around in the bottom of the case.

Removing it is a piece of cake - less than 1/2 hour. You'll then know where you stand. You'll need a slide hammer - you can borrow from me if you need.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Edited by - Paul Richards on 30 Jun 2006 13:25:27

Thanks Paul

Will look into it and if req will call on you for removal tool.

Opinion has now suggested an Ital axle, will try to investigte later, If so has anyone got LF from approx feb as I thought there may have been an ad in there with one for sale

thanks to all

R

Following a few phone calls to the perons suggested I have just sent the diff off to Road & Race, in Sevenoaks (down south somewhere near France I beleive).

It turns out to be an Ital axle and the diff is pretty comprehensively destroyed. I've been quoted £300 so that's about the best I can get. For info I will keep the thread up to date with how I get on.

R