Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Bilstein damper-conical spacer

TomB

I am replacing my stiff race springs with road springs on my 1996 De-dion. I have a pair of progressive 2.25inch rear springs (thanks Rob *thumbup*). When looking at other cars last night, I realised I may need one of the conical spacers at the end of the damper.

The problem is caterham dont stock these separately. I do not have one on the dampers at present, so provided a fit a 2.25inch end piece to keep the spring in place, will I need one?

Caterham are supplied with the spring & damper assembled assembled from the manufacturer so cant easily supply a conical thingy. I have order a pair of 2.25inch end caps that are usually used on the front dampers - I cant see why they wouldnt be OK for holding the rear spring onto the damper?

Edited by - TomB on 29 Jun 2006 12:26:33

• Area Representative

Tom

Not sure that I fully understand your post.

I think you'll find that the end caps are not interchangable between front and rear. The front caps are flat (need to be conical at rear to provide clearance). Also I think front shockers have a larger diameter round piece which locates into the end cap.

As you know, you are quite welcome to borrow my end caps, and I would suggest that best place to obtain them separately is direct from Bilstein. I'm sure they have a cast number which should identify them.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

• Area Representative

Tom,

having read your post (and email), I've been in the garage to check clearances and sizes. I then had some lunch, and returned to the PC to find that Paul has written almost exactly what I was going to!

It looks to me, that without the conical upper spring seat, the spring would be VERY close to the surounding bodywork.

As Paul says, try contacting Bilstein directly. A quick google found the number 01455 283407. Or maybe another BlatChat wanted?

Well as Im confused, Ive cancelled the order from Caterham until I sort it out.

Paul, I think it best if I bring an old damper/ spring and the new spring to yours so I can compare them on the workbench, then Ill have a better idea of the way forward.

• Area Representative

Tom

Hope you have it sorted now, but if I can help (changing springs?) or you need to borrow anything (spring caps if yours don't arrive on time), just let me know.

P.S.

I've sent you an e-mail. ACT NOW IF YOU WANT TO BE PART OF LADS TO LE MANS 2007!! It will soon be too late.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Edited by - Paul Richards on 30 Jun 2006 13:14:07