Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Update - Fitting new VVC engine mount and another annoying rattle.

old captain slow

Had an annoying rattle for months and months and thought I had tracked it down to the exhaust hitting the bodywork. Changed both engine mounts and this resulted in the exhaust clearing the bodywork.

Rattle still there.

Took off the silencer heat shield as one of the straps had broken.

Rattle still there.

Took off the silencer apropos recent other thread and gave it a good shake.

No rattle in the exhaust - so rattle still there.

Checked the plug cover - not that either.

THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS as I can't track the rattle down and it's getting worse.

On the plus side I fitted the proper Caterham rh engine mount for the VVC plenum that I recently fitted. (I had cut down the old engine mount to drop the engine on the rh side). As others pointed out the plenum now hit the brace that runs from the pedal box to the front suspension mount location. Answers to other posts suggested remove brace and mount it under the brackets using longer bolts and washers to pack out the bracket. This would clearly work fine, but there is another solution. The removeable brace has two mounting holes at the front. Using the outer mounting position moves the brace fractionally away from the plennum but enough to allow the use of a couple of suitable flat washers between the engine mounting bracket and the rubber to give clearance all round including the bonnet.

Can't think there is any problem with that is there?

Now back to that rattle ..... *mad*

C7 CDW

Edited by - David W on 1 Jul 2006 17:08:34

Noise is definitely coming from the passenger side, so not the column. Anyway I've had the engine mount in and out at least 10 times in the last week and it's definitely not hitting the column. *thumbup*

Mick - do you mean the 4:1 transition piece bewtween the 4 pipes and the inlet to the silencer? All seemed pretty tight to me, but I will have another look see. Cheers.

C7 CDW

I had an interesting rattle on my VVC, 1 of the bolts that hold down the ECU had lost its captive nut, only found that by accident while checking out some of the plugs that go into it.

chris

Chris

Life begins at 7

I had one that was quite loud when standing in front of the car at idle - tracked it down to the fan. Took the fan off and eventually sussed where it was coming from: if you remove the circlip holding on the fan blade assembly and pull off the blades you'll find a small metal pin that fits through the fan motor drive shaft. Its interlocks with the fan blade assembly. Well that pin was loose, and you wouldn't have thought such a small thing could make so much noise! The plastic fan blades seemed to be amplifying the sound. A drop of JB Weld on it has sorted it.

Probably not yours, but I thought I'd mention it in case it affects anyone else...

Jonathan

Fixed *thumbup*

Checked the ECU mountings - you were correct Chris7. A bolt holding the ECU down had snapped. Fixed it but the rattle still there.

Checked the battery tray - you were correct Mav. A pop rivet had come loose so I replaced that but the rattle was still there.

Ok so Mick Day and Miles were correct. The lower inside primary was rattling in the transition piece. I must have looked at that area a hundred times and missed it. So rattle now fixed with a bit of packing in the gap. 😬

On the down side I can now hear an annoying CLUNK from the rear end that was not apparent before as I was listening to the rattle. AAAAAAAArgh!

😬

C7 CDW