Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Chattering / Rattle above 4000 rpm

Adam H

I collected my car yesterday from Caterham Midlands following a service and a few other bits of minor work.

I took it very steady for the 1st drive as I was following my dad home as he drove me over to collect it.

Later on, on my way home I gave it a bt of welly and heard a strange chattering sort of rattle coming from the engine bay whenever I took it above 4000 rpm. Below this it sounds normal.

Once home I removed the bonnet and had a good look around with my partner giving it some revs but couldn't see anything obviously loose or amiss.

Any ideas guys?

I can't tell whether it might be vibration-related or something to do with the second cam coming on stream.

The car goes ok and temp and oil pressure are as normal.

I'm just a bit concerned as I'm booked to go to Oulton Park on Tuesday.

Any replies / suggestions greatly appreciated. *thumbup*

Adam

1400ss 6sp LSD

If you had the bonnet off and couldn't hear anything - maybe it's something rattling againt the bonnet or maybe the bonnet is loose.

An old trick to check for location of strange engine related noises is to use a large/long screwdriver. Press the handle end against your ear and put the blade at various locations on the engine (Not the fan belt *cool*)

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Sorry, probably wasn't very clear.

With the bonnet off the noise was still there but I couldn't physically see anything loose or rattling.

It sounded as if it was coming from the front of the engine.

A while ago I experinced a similar but slightly different noise but that turned out to be a loose cam cover which was tightened and is now fine. Obvioulsy, I have checked this and both screws are tight.

Adam

1400ss 6sp LSD

I had a similar problem once, turned out to be the spark plug cover plate, as your car has just been serviced theres a good chance this was removed and may not have been properly tightened when it was replaced, worth a check.

Pete