Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil Pressure

KevSull Too

Ok, to set the scene..

Lovely sunny Saturday Mr. Non Technical decides on a nice quick blat.

Open garage start up car (1.8 SL), reverse out, lock garage, strap in, check oil pressure at idle - looks good, around 3.5 thingys (this is Mr. Non Technical we're dealing with!), drive off, oil pressure still Ok around 4.5 - 5 thingys.

20 Minutes later driving along some nice roads, sun shining, birds singing, wind blowing through what's left of hair, check oil pressure - around 4 thingys. Pull up to a junction, car at idle, check oil pressure - just above red!!! AARRGGGHHH, panic, rev engine lightly, oil pressure returns to just under 4. Blat aborted, return home gently. Every time the car idles the oil pressure looks dangerously low.

Arrive home, check oil level (engine hot and running) Looks good.

Question--- What could the problem be? It there reason for major concern?

Please tell me my car's not busted!

Car's not busted.

You are seeing the quite normal reducing of oil pressure at idle while hot, due to the oil being a lot thinner than when it is cold. At hot idle it should read >1.5bar. Any less and I'd worry. Changing the oil, if it hasn't been done recently, would be a good idea if you are really concerned, and make sure you use the right grade of oil. I'm no K series expert, but I think a 5W-50 is the spec. of choice. A K series expert will be along in a minute to agree/debunk/correct me if I have made any glaring errors.

Edited by - Blatman on 9 Feb 2002 20:27:23

Before you change the oil or oil pressure sender, check the oil pressure relief valve isn't stuck.

This happened to me. At idle it was on the edge of the red, but when revving was

around normal.

It is located at the front of the engine on the left hand side (looking from the front towards the back) near the sump.

Cheers

Daren.

I've had a similar problem, I am now on my 3rd OP sender, last one replaced by Hyperion in December who couldn't find anything wrong. Once the sender was replaced, all went well.....

Until today when the F*$£&^^$"g thing has now started playing up again!

I haven't found anything else wrong with the car except the crappy OP sender!

Hope this helps,

Ernie