Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting 5 point harness

Brucey

1993 1400K Dedion. Caterham (Luke) 5 point harness.

Where do you anchor the crutch strap? (2 anchor points)

My guess is at the same location points as the cross straps, but would like to confirm.

If I can do it so they can go under the seat if I want to use it as a 4 point harness, all the better (especially passanger side as SWMBO is starting to look a little nervous with all that bondage equipment!).

May also have the option of the front or rear seat mounting points (original leather seats).

CC said rear seat mountings if I didn't have any special locations in the chassis (which I can't see), but won't that make the crutch strap rub on the front of the seat?

Isn't removing the old inertia belts fun! Nobody mentioned having to take off the bottom shock mount to get the bolt out in the archive! I also spent 20 mins trying to fit a socket and ratchet inside the little cubby hole until I realised there was a sodding great big hole in the back panel to fit a socket extension bar through! Mind you, looks like I've found 2 potential speaker locations! Who said Caterhams had no storage space!

As usual, any advice appreciated.

Bruce.

Corrected spelling (it was late!)

Edited by - brucey on 21 Jun 2006 08:20:53

Thanks Charles,

I had a quick look at your impressive web site. I saw the photo's of your harnesses (same as mine), but couldn't see the crutch strap or its attachment *confused*.

I'm assuming your car has tillet type seats for racing and therefore the crutch strap passes through the seat base. Mine would have to go around the front of the seat or up either side.

I'll look under the carpet on the bulkhead tonight to see if I have any more holes!

Bruce.

• Area Representative

I orginally used the side mounts for the crutch strap(s), but this made them too bulky and not satisfactory, when you have to remove the spacers and loose the ability to swivel.

Assume you have S type seats. I found the best way was to sit a stout flat bar across the disused mounts at the rear of the seat - I think they were originally seat mounts on earlier cars. I then attached the crutch strap mounts to this bar and passed them through the seat between the backjrest and squab. You then sit on the crutch strap. You can then simply "hide" under the squab when not in use. Hope this makes sense.

Blatmail me if you want pics.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Thanks Paul,

Just to clarify:

You attached your crutch strap to the seat rather than the car?

You then pass it through the back of the seat and effectively sit on the straps?

When not in use, you poke the crutch strap back between the back of the seat and the squab?

I think I'd better blatmail you for some pics!

Bruce.

I'm sure it's going to work but the only issue is the seat mountings are generally very poor and so there is the issue of ripping the seat off its mountings in a bad accident. After all, in general the seat has to do very little as it is the belts that stop you and they are (normally) attached to the chassis rather than a thin bit of aluminium floor.

Some people attach the crutch strap to the same mountings as the side belts I believe. Mine are attached to the bulkhead points that you can see here. Hope that clarifies.

Charles

---

My SuperGraduates 2006 diary

My SuperGraduates 2005 diary, My Caterham Academy 2004 build and race diary

Edited by - CharlesElliott on 21 Jun 2006 11:47:46

Edited by - CharlesElliott on 21 Jun 2006 11:48:14

Bruce, remember that Academy cars like Charles' and mine have lowered floors, so the fixing you're looking for on yours will be tight to the floor skin beneath the carpets.

I wouldn't want to rely on a seatbelt fixed to the aluminium floor alone.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

see here - UPDATED

I am pretty sure that is not what Paul is saying.

On early cars the seats mounted on steel tabs brazed to the rear cockpit chasis member.

This is completely separate from alloy channels rivited in the floor.

Later cars may not have these tabs

Nick

Thanks Tom & Nick.

My seat mounts very similar to the place where Charles has mounted his crutch strap. (Thanks for the direct link to the photo Charles). I guess this is why CC told me to attach the strap to these points. I'll give it a go and see what it looks like.

I am assuming the crutch stap is there more to stop the harness riding up than to stop my private parts exiting through the front of the footwell in a bad shunt *eek*. I therefore think these mounting points should be strong enough to make me speak in a very high pitch voice for some considerable time after an accident. 😳

Bruce.