Click here if you are having website access problems ×

HELP! Where can I get a De Dion Tube?

Mcalvert

• Leadership Team

I've just heard that the slightly vague handling on my car is due to a cracked De Dion tube. It didn't feel quite "right" but I'm gobsmacked that it was something as serious :-(

To make matters worse, Caterham are out of stock and we're meant to be going away in 2 weeks. Does anyone else have any ideas? Will try Redline.

P.S. I understand that it's the Narrow Butress version that I need. I didn;t realise that there were different versions, just that the more recent ones had been beefed up?

Michael.

Mike,

What car vintage is it from? There are several variations of De Dion although I did think that the latest version could be fitted to all cars (although you have obviously been told otherwise).

I do have a De Dion with a bent end plate which I was going to get Arch to repair. I also have a second De Dion which has got to come off my car when it goes to Arch for a new long front/rear basket *eek*. Let me know if you can't track one down.

Unfortunately, Arch won't supply direct.

Charles

---

My SuperGraduates 2006 diary

My SuperGraduates 2005 diary, My Caterham Academy 2004 build and race diary

Thanks Charles

The car is a 1991 vintage if that helps......... Neither of us know much about the variations in di dion tube but we can check with James Whiting.

Tam (Mike's co-driver) *smile*

Mark / Charles

Thank you both, but Caterham Parts tell me that it needs to be a 1991 - 1994 vintage. Even the 94-96 are unlikley to be narrow buttress, and post-96 defintely won't fit ☹️ I'm not techy enough to know if a solution can be bodged on this, but it doesn't sound hopeful.

Thanks again guys.

Tam

If its failed at the buttress then I would suggest that any competent welder should be able to repair it, there is a lot of metal in that area. Also welded repairs on the other parts are not impossible if done properly

Edited by - Graham Perry on 14 Jun 2006 16:02:21

Tam I have just had to have mine replaced... having looked at the problem area on the out going tube I have to agree with Graham, that there is more than enough material in that area to allow for it to be repaired by welding.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

• Leadership Team

Thanks All.

I've just been to James Whitings and for the 1991 chassis it looks like there's no way that a wide buttress later model would fit.

Thanks for all your offers - I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that Caterham come through. Having spoken to most 7 repair outfits, it looks like they all have De Dion tubes on back order :-(

Michael.

• Leadership Team

This is the problem. According to Caterham, the Narrow Buttress version was fitted to all cars from 1990-1993 and some cars from 1993-1996. The race support guys all look after more recent cars ☹️

Michael.

Ermm I don't want to cause confusion but I have a 1992 dedion car and have managed to break the dedion twice, the first time it was replaced with one 2nd hand from a 1999 SLR the second time it was replaced with another second hand one from a K race car so I don't understand why a current vintage dedion tube won't fit??

What does the "narrow buttress" bit mean??

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 15 Jun 2006 19:16:52

Edited by - rgrigsby on 15 Jun 2006 19:28:02

• Leadership Team

I believe that it's down to the different versions of A Frame used and that the butress (the triangular protrusion on the tube to which the A frame is mounted) comes in narrow or wide.

Happy to take any input from anyone else...

Michael.

*idea*WARNING *idea* *thumbdown* *thumbdown* *thumbdown*

Be very very casrefull with a welded repair been there done that ☹️ ☹️ ☹️

When the de-dion splits at the shocker mount it starts to deflect and the rear tracking goes out ☹️ ☹️ ☹️

Unless you have a jig to set the end plates ARCH you will NEVER get it right *confused*and you will have not only handling problems but severe rear tyre wear., *mad* *mad*

And just to add confusion, my A-frame isn't. It is two seperate lateral links *confused*. My car is a '91 dd. Any one else got this. I ordered a replacement and got a regular A-frame that doesn't look to be wide enough at the chassis end and looks too narrow at the tube end.Will know for sure on Sat, when i try to bolt it all together. but what do i ask for if it doesnt fit?

• Leadership Team

Bob - I have exactly the same - I balieve that for a limited period, Caterham made the "A" frame without the cross part. I understand that a regular upgrade was to have the 3rd tube retrofitted.

Michael.

For future reference, I have been stockpiling post '96 de diob tubes. I have 3 at present.

I have also previouslyfitted a wide butress dd tube to a narrow buttress car. You have to run a very low ride height by using the wrong damper mounts and the car understeers a lot... For emergencies it doew work though.